We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bearded Iris 2007 to 2009  (Read 109529 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Bearded Iris 2007 to 2009
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2007, 10:42:10 PM »
`Gingerbread Man' as I have it is much closer to tan than the one above
Mine too Leslie, can't rush out and photograph it obviously!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2007, 11:19:09 PM »
Paul it's all a matter of height but along with that, flowering time is relevant too. Because of their breeding based on I. pumila, miniature dwarfs are up to 20cms and flower early to mid spring. Standard dwarfs are based on I. chamaeiris and are up to 40cms (though mostly shorter, from 21-30cms). They flower about a month later. Intermediates (Medians) are 41-70cms and include table irises (smaller flowers, slender stems) and border irises which are basically shorter talls. Then there are the tall bearded which are from 70cms upwards. Table and border beardeds flower between standards and talls, though the tables are earlier than borders which overlap into late spring/early summer with the talls. In short, the smaller/shorter the variety, the earlier it flowers.

Rebloomers (remontant) are great because you get an extra flowering season, usually in the autumn while the space-agers, spoon types and several other forms describe what I see as aberrations which carry to extremes, frilliness, extra bits and pieces attached to standards, style arms etc. I'd like to hear Sweden's Peter Korn on the subject. To my mind they totally destroy the elegance and "style" of bearded irises and I wouldn't grow those kinds for anything.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:24:57 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2007, 12:36:39 AM »
Lesley,

I was aware of all the other classes (although great to see them specified like that, as a lot of people don't see those classifications) but I had never seen a differentiation within the dwarf class.  I don't recall it ever being mentioned in any of the catalogues when I used to collect irises somewhat more seriously a few years back.  I rather like some of the space agers, so you wouldn't like parts of my iris collection.  I'm guessing you'd also hate things like 6 pack and flat rate, where they have 6 falls held horizontally rather than having standards.  The sheer size and similarity to Japanese Iris (Iris ensata) is amazing.  I only grow 6 pack, but would grow others of them if I could find them and afford them.  ;D  I like quirky!! (No, really!! I realise that no-one would ever have guessed!!  :o)

Thanks for the clarification.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2007, 01:14:56 AM »
I don't have a real problem with flat flowers, like some of the modern ensata group (Ja[anese irises, formally I. kaempferi) it all depends on their lines and clean-ness of colour. I don't really like the so-called "doubles" though which have muddled, messy flowers with too much flower tissue in the space. All the species are lovely to my mind, and it's only when the "have-to-have-something-new" breeders get hold of them that things turn nasty. All a matter of personal taste of course.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2007, 01:45:59 AM »
Thanks, Brian, Maggi and Lesley,
we may eventually sort this Gingerbreadman out!
Here's what is known locally as "Settler's White", mainly because it is often all that remains to show that someone had once lived there! It's a medium sized bearded iris and possibly the species I. albicans.
30930-0

and another look at the pale yellow with an olive patch on the falls.
30932-1

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2007, 02:41:12 AM »
Iris albicans yes, and the lower one looks like one called `Forest Glade.'

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2007, 10:10:06 AM »
Fermi I have searched through my iPhoto library and discovered a picture taken a couple of years ago at Glen Chantry.  There was a wonderful clump of Gingerbread Man near the top of the rock garden, and it is where I first saw it.  This is more like mine - and hopefully Lesley's  :)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2007, 10:44:43 AM »
Absolutely stunning Brian ! Great flower !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2007, 09:21:18 PM »
Yep, that's it! Thanks Brian.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2007, 08:15:36 AM »
And now for something completely different!

First flower on my only Arilmed, "Orb"
31029-0

Unfortunately the original supplier has obviously decided that this type of iris doesn't sell well and they've dropped off the lists!
cheers
fermi

Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »
Fermi,

Not sure whether it is that they aren't popular or that they just have more losses growing them.  The aril types can be a bit trickier to keep going well, particularly to keep at flowering size for selling purposes I'd imagine.  There are some beautiful ones out there in the book as I used to grow a few of them, but I found them much shyer to flower for me and often nearly dying out if too much watering in summer.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2007, 08:14:34 PM »
Yes please, bone dry after flowering until the autumn. Shouldn't be too hard in Oz :D
Try Pat Toolan in South Australia Fermi. And Marcus now has a good collection of species which will gradually be available I should think.

Here is my only Arilbred. I would like a name for it. Given to me a few years ago but without an ID.

31113-0

And this tiny is possibly `April Accent' (read September down under).

31115-1
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:21:17 PM by Lesley Cox »

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2007, 12:11:45 AM »
I like that Arilbred of yours Lesley, we must try a cultural exchange!
Here's a follow-up to my earlier posting of "Settlers'White", this is "Settlers' Blue" which I think is a form of the Florentine Iris. Any guesses?
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2007, 05:45:17 AM »
I don't know this one Fermi.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2007, 12:55:30 AM »
New today is the first flowering on a Median, which is either Taj Aqua or Aqua Taj!
31417-0

31419-1

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal