We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Townsendias  (Read 5943 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Townsendias
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 10:31:35 PM »
Easy from seed and follow this with good, gritty compost, very well drained. I've lost some because they're generally short lived, with me anyway, and not all have set seed but some do. Perfect trough plants for a sunny spot.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 10:42:15 PM »
Hi Rob

Sounds if it's worth trying, I am glad that they aren't to hard to germinate as I haven't had to much luck with seeds but saying this I am getting better.

They are so lovely. Everyone says that they are short lived, how long is short lived ?

Hope the squirrel leaves the rest of your seeds for you. I once put a bag over my seed pod thinking it was a good way to collect my seed but my dog must have thought there was a goodie in the bag and eat the bag and the seed pod  :o...luckily he wasn't ill.

Lesley I like the word easy  :)

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 11:08:57 PM »
For me, short-lived meant died after flowering, so monocarpic, except exscarpa which regularly set seed, until I cooked it last summer. Have to start over.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »
For me, short-lived meant died after flowering, so monocarpic, except exscarpa which regularly set seed, until I cooked it last summer. Have to start over.

Oh no Lesley I was hoping at least three to four years I would be devasted if I grew them from seed and then they die on me...one thing for sure mine won't get cooked here ;D

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

astragalus

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 04:14:26 AM »
I've have seedlings in one of my troughs but they have never flowered ???
Hi Mark, that's very funny that you noticed the phillip's head screw.  Simple explanation - was making something which required them, had one leftover, and instead of putting it back in tool chest which was some 45 steps down at the bottom of the garden, "temporarily" placed it in hole in tufa.  Obviously it got forgotten.  My laziness has now been memorialized in photo, oops!
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal