We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2009  (Read 142887 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Cyclamen 2009
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:09:36 AM »
Just to note that Oron has an interesting article in the latest Cyclamen Journal.  He may soon be growing arctic plants.   ;D

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
Re: Cyclamen 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:10:53 AM »
Yellow flower Cyclamen ?

In the net I have found articels about the production of yellow flower Cyclamen.These plants are lab made with the use of the Agrobacterium tumefaciens strains for the transformation of the Chalcone reductase gene.

Are there plants in culture or is it possible to show picts ?
Gerhard
....from the South of Austria, near the border to Slovenia

www.cypripedium.at

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »
I agree that it could be very interesting to make a job like this, but to be honest, I don't like flowers which have colors made by people, completely unfamiliar in that genus. I'm not talking about uncommon hues, but totally different colors, which does not occur in that genus. For example blue rose... or yellow Cyclamen.  ;D
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:56:53 AM »
Kata,
 I agree with you!

This is the second mention that has been made of Oron's article in this Forum.......since I no longer have a membership of the Cyclamen Society, I wonder if anyone might send me a scanned copy...... ::) ??? 8)

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 04:53:56 PM »
Kata,
 I agree with you!

This is the second mention that has been made of Oron's article in this Forum.......since I no longer have a membership of the Cyclamen Society, I wonder if anyone might send me a scanned copy...... ::) ??? 8)

I will try to scan and post it.

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »
I will try to scan and post it.

johnw

John, you are most kind but Hans has sent me a copy  8)
We will need to ask permission of the Cyclamen Society if we  may post it here.
 Thanks, Maggi

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:05:27 PM »
The Cyclamen Society has kindly agreed to allow us to post a copy of Oron Peri's piece from their most recent Journal here.
 You may recall that Oron made mention in the Forum some time ago about his glass-cool-house-with-a-difference !
 Thanks to Hans J for sending this copy

99055-0

99057-1

Many of you will have found a link to the Cyclamen Society website from the Forum Link pages, but I'll repeat it here....
http://www.cyclamen.org/indexCS.html

Anyone wanting to know more  about the Cyclamen Society may contact Arthur Nicholls  ( art600 ) who will be pleased to help.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:14:28 PM by Maggi Young »

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »
Fantastic idea, isn't it? 8) 

Maybe this is how we might grow at least the tidier sub-antarctic megaherbs (having managed to track down seed, that is ::)). 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 06:55:25 AM »
Oron,
 just now ,by coincidence, I stumbled on your article in the Cyclamen Soc. Journal.
What an ingenious brainwave of your's to grow the cooler climate species in a refrigerated cake display cabinet![ it is certainly not a grandparents , parents,
 Fauser's cake shop  antique piece -you know].
The species you mention, as well as all the other species, thrive planted out in my garden, even though in summer the temperature climbs on some days to 38 or so.
 But on the downside I can hardly ever flower C. rohlfsianum , despite keeping the tubers bonedry in the resting period- could that be because of the altitude here-
500 meters ,and reasonable cool nights even during summer ?
   I remember years ago , at the Munich Botanic Garden , we had more than 100 flowers on one tuber-grown in a glasshouse , in which the temperature  never dropped
 below 12 C.- maybe this is the answer to my problem?
            Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »
Oron I also enjoyed your article in Cyclamen Society Journal what a great piece of lateral thinking  8). I was also interested to see that you had your priorities right when you cancelled an appointment with presumably a paying client to deal with the wants of your plants - such clear thinking  ;D
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

johnw

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »
Otto - Cyclamen rohlfsianum flower here quite well and we do keep it completely dry during the summer. We leave it on a shaded shelf in the greenhouse where temperatures stay well under 28c.  Summer nights here are cool as well - 10-17c - from mid-June until mid-September, the greenhouse would drop similarly.

johnw 

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
Tanks all,

Otto, they have probably used big blocks of ice at that time....

I  think most Cyclamen can have high temperatures when dormant in summer, the problems starts while growing,
The combination of relativly high temp. and humidity is fatal in most cases while cold dry wether is the best.
Every now and then i try to grow a species outside [when i have enogh plants...], for example at the moment C. coum ssp. caucasicum ans some C. elegans are out and they seems to grow very well.
Same for C. purpurascens and some intaminatum.

Regarding C. rohlfsianum, i think it is also the level of light that counts and not only the hot backing fact...
it growes here as if it is  in its natural habitat but that is because it has  many bright sunny days in winter too.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:08:55 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:04:47 PM »
Not sure if this is the correct place to put these pictures, but the Cyclamen have certainly been brightening up our porch during this bitter weather.  They don't usually reside there but in the greenhouse or frame but Brian thought they needed some TLC whilst it was freezing solid every night.

The first pictures are of Cyclamen persicum, a few years old this one and it has flowered before.  The second is Cyclamen elegans x alpinum, this is the first time it has flowered it was sown 2006.  It's flower only one so far but more to come, is just 1cm long and across.  Both plants come from Cyclamen Society seed.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:02:13 PM »
No bad idea to give those cyclamen the luxury of some time in the porch in the weather we've been having, Shelagh, I think Brian is wise to do this.
I bet the persicum is making the porch smell nice, too, an added bonus.
The little hybrid flowering for the first time is very cute......that colour combo is a real favourite of ours..... blackcurrant splodges.... yummy!

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 03:00:46 PM »
Nice to see it's stopped raining in Aberdeen Maggi, you've taken your waterproof off! :o :o ;D
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal