We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Do You Feed Birds?  (Read 13746 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Do You Feed Birds?
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2009, 08:20:18 PM »
After two feeds the rat is now dead or got the hint. The third feed is still behind the troughs
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Carol Shaw

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »
Good news Mark - just make sure nothing else eats the poison
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2009, 08:13:18 AM »
hi all--
in the country here--i feed, so far only in winter, i figure those poor little things can use a bit of a hand in our tough winter conditions (minimum -45C, though we dont hit that often or for long, prob not quite -40 ever this year, and not much of that), esp when/if there is significant snow cover, as there is this year;
i use some of the mixed seed bags, though the birds i have are not so much interested in millet and similar things--i get a mix that is mostly black oil/other sunflowers--which the chickadees (we have at least black cap and boreal) and nuthatches like;
occasional other finch species, woodpeckers around a lot, though i think they feed little if at all at the feeders;
tons of redpolls (a small finch), they mostly like the nyjer seed(in a sock type feeder), though i think they also eventually clean up the millet etc that the chickadees throw on the ground--my main misgiving about the nyjer is that it is heat sterilised in north america, since its believed to host dodder; would like to try growing my own to have live and therefor more nutritious seed, but so far have only found commercial agricultural size suppliers ( i looked it up last year, its not really a thistle, but i think it is compositae, forget now...

many birds in summer, but our woods and pastures are full of natural foods,and they enjoy fruits and berries in the yard too(which is not really distinct from the natural habitats---this yard was inserted in the bush/meadows, and never totally supplanted them, lots of wildflowers/bushes/trees) though i may think about some feeding just for the viewing fun(many more species in summer, of course); i have intentions to grow various plants for seed for birds--i've heard they like echinacea and safflower among others; grew some black oil sunflowers that the birds planted this past year, they are marginal here, but managed to ripen a few small heads which chickadees and woodpeckers cleaned up..

had to reposition the feeders, as a squirrel which was feeding below the feeder was running to our vehicle to hide when disturbed!! they can do tremendous damage to vehicles very quickly..
cohan

Carol Shaw

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2009, 09:28:36 AM »
Hi Cohen

Where are you? -40C is seriously cold, I'm surprised that any of the birds survive at all  ::)
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

vivienr

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2009, 09:32:17 AM »
had to reposition the feeders, as a squirrel which was feeding below the feeder was running to our vehicle to hide when disturbed!! they can do tremendous damage to vehicles very quickly..
cohan

Hello Cohan,
We have had squirrels eat our house wiring and outdoor telephone line but it had never occurred to me that they might eat the wiring on the car. Thanks for the warning I shall keep a closer watch on them!
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2009, 07:53:52 PM »
hi again--
i am in west central alberta, canada--halfway between the two large cities of edomonton and calgary, and then straight west from that line; about a half hour drive from where the foothills biome starts, but about an hour from the serious hills, and 90minutes will put me in the rockies..
we are usda 2-3; this winter  we had about 3 weeks in december with many daytimes in the -20'sC, and some nights close to -40; nothing quite as cold since..

it is surprising the birds are able to hang around--over winter we have 2 or 3 kinds of chickadees,  several (native, no english sparrows out here in the country) sparrows/finches, though none as common as the redpolls, 2 kinds of nuthatches, some woodpeckers, kinglets (smaller than chickadees and one of my faves, they are in small numbers, travelling with chickadees, i havent seen them at feeders, but small numbers mean i might not notice, esp since i moved the feeders away from view of the house because of the squirrel), waxwings(not common in the countryside, but i THINK i've seen them in winter), several kinds of owls, bluejays, ravens,magpies, ruffed grouse(like a small chicken), hawks (not around much this winter, too much snow to catch mice easily),occasional bald eagles etc ..these are not all at my feeder, but most have been on the acreage at some time, and are around the area;

re: squirrels and cars--the internet is full of horror stories, we were very worried when we saw it going in there, luckily moving the feeder meant it was not a handy hiding place anymore, and i guess it has enough other places for regular 'roosting' (heavily treed here, and some old sheds)
cohan

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2009, 07:59:57 PM »
Cohan,

Not surprising that you don't see many kinglets at the feeder. Both species are insect/insect egg feeders and are likely foraging in nearby trees for their dinner.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2009, 08:50:58 PM »
thanks, carlo--

that is, in fact, where i have always seen them, usually just a pair or two travelling with a flock of chickadess and nuthatches; often a small woodpecker in the groups also
--the nuthatches and chickadees of course also spend lots of time combing the trees, but do also like the seeds; i have read that the chickadees (nevermind all the other species) have a major impact on insect populations in the boreal forest, and i believe it!
the redpolls are especially fond of native tree seeds, too, esp spruce (which have had a bumper crop of cones last couple of years) and birch..
our chickadees mostly go away in spring/summer--i guess they go somewhere even harsher and less populated! to nest and come back after they are done..
cohan

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2009, 09:10:54 AM »
It is surprising but small rodents sometimes eat (at least gnaw) plastics. Our squirrels do not but our mice do. This is a problem if a car is parked outside in a rural area for some time.
They positively do love the gasoline hoses on trimmers and such impliments.  >:(
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »
It is surprising but small rodents sometimes eat (at least gnaw) plastics. Our squirrels do not but our mice do. This is a problem if a car is parked outside in a rural area for some time.
They positively do love the gasoline hoses on trimmers and such impliments.  >:(
Göte

In Germany martens are responsible for destroying cables and tubes of cars.
This happens in urban areas too. There are special repellent sprays, which are offered against these animals.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »
A friend living near-ish Seattle had her Landrover burst into flames as she was driving home one day - squirrels  >:(
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »
Do we feed birds? Yes:
This is a feeding bird. ;D
It is in the town centre but unfortunately seen from the second floor.
The prey is a Sturnus vulgaris or possibly Turdus.
Yes we have hares in the town center!
Göte
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 02:05:30 PM by gote »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2009, 06:12:19 PM »
when i lived in edmonton, alberta, there were peregrine falcons nesting in the top of an office building, right in the very centre of the city; i presume they were feeding on birds...

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2009, 06:17:13 PM »
There are peregrine falcons  nesting  in the centre of Aberdeen, also. Mostly taking pigeons.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2009, 06:26:26 PM »
Gote great photo of a male Sparrowhawk. Here is one on Birdguides.com
http://www.birdguides.com/pictures/default.asp?v=1&f=194229&r=0&st=0&q=
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal