We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ field trips: Johan in NZ  (Read 5264 times)

Johan Nilson

Re: NZ field trips: Johan in NZ
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 12:19:22 AM »
Lvandelft,

I probably would have stayed the night if I could have! :P

and Lina never did leave me up there, even though she probably wanted to ;)
Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

Ross Graham

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 02:44:56 AM »
Hi Johan, Nice photos

To help you with the ids, here are my opinions:

The Ranunculus is insignis growing up through Celmisia angustifolia
insignis on Mt Hutt grows much thicker leaves that are smaller than the ones further north in wetter places (see David Lyttles photos from Mt Arthur) These differences persist in cultivation.

The Raoulia looks like mamillaris

The Celmisia species looks like a hybrid possibly between angustifolia and lyallii

The Haastia is a very ancient Roulia eximia

Its raining over the whole South island so being on this forum is my only way to see the mountains at the moment.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 08:49:37 AM »
and Lina never did leave me up there, even though she probably wanted to

;D ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Johan Nilson

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »
Hi Ross,

Its really great that we can be at the mountains as much as we want to, through the forum. Thank you for helping me getting the names right.

To me the "ancient Roulia eximia" really looked different to the other R. eximia. It would be great if anyone could post a picture of Haastia pulvinaris. I have only seen the illustrations from 'Mark & Adams'.

I found it very interesting that there seems to be quite a lot of different Celmisia hybrids and even other hybrids to be found at your mountains.

Some more pictures from Mt Hutt
Neopaxia sp?
Helichrysum intermedium?

..and from Arthurs pass
Raoulia australis
Caladenia sp
Ourisia sp
Raoulia grandiflora from Arthurs pass, It is interesting to see how one species can differ from one place to another.
Raoulia grandiflora from
And last what I think is Celmisia petriei

Johan
Gothenburg/Sweden

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 07:17:23 PM »
Stunning pictures Johan !  :o
What a magical trip you must have made !!  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ross Graham

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »
Hi Johan,
Thanks for the new pictures they are really great as well. I have never been on the Tongarero crossing so you are one up on me! I was just saying to my wife we should do that some day.
The Celmisia from Arthurs Pass is armstongii which looks very much like petreii the only difference being the location and the fact that petreii is all green above, while armstongii has a more orange look especially the yellow/orange midrift. Petreii grows furthur south on the mountains in the west Mt aspiring and Fiordland and  Westland.
The Ourisia is probably macrocarpa (its hard to tell from a photo.)
you can see some pics of Haastia on my website:
http://alpine-plants-new-zealand.110mb.com/haastia.htm
I did a page on Hasstia a while ago.
Its still raining here, last time I checked the rain guage was up to 63mm and that was 20 hours ago and its rained quite a bit since then. Hopefully I will be off to the hills tuesday.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 09:48:55 PM »
Great photographs, Johan.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 03:39:21 AM »
thanks for some more great armchair --err--computer chair!--travel!
so many amazing plants in the world!
cohan

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 10:40:03 AM »
Hi Johan,

It is nice to see your pictures from your New Zealand trip posted on the site. By coincidence I am trying to write an article on our trip to the St Marys Range for the Botanical Society of Otago newsletter and trying to get my head round some of the plants we saw. At the moment I have been looking at the little cushion Myosotis you spotted and  comparing it to Myosotis pulvinaris and another small Myosotis I found further south in the Hector Mountains. Another plant I am trying to place in some sort of taxonomic perspective is the Celmisia we saw there. I should post a picture and let Ross have a crack at it. It is still raining here and I dont think he will be getting to the mountains any time soon.

kind regards,
David

Celmisia sp aff durieztii  ?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:02:28 AM by Maggi Young »
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Ross Graham

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »
Hi David,
I have just got back from the mountains and saw this post. I got away on the tuesday. I got 120 mm rain in total for my garden actually my rain guage might be leaking as it has a crack from when water in it froze last year so it may have been more! Will try and post some pics of my trip if I have time. Spent a couple of days with Steve Newall which is the first time Iv been in the hills with him for 5 years or so.
I think your Celmisia is something new I think aff duretseii is as good a name as any. I cant say its any particular species. I guess you would have to compare it against herbarium specimans to get any better idea.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal