We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Early February 2007  (Read 46457 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Early February 2007
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2007, 08:37:12 PM »
Here is my first tulip.
The flower diamameter is almost the same as the hight of the whole plant.
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2007, 12:03:34 AM »
Going back a little to Ian's pic of `Sheila Ann Germaney,' Ian, dig the lady up and remove the rice-grain babies and plant them a little way from the mother bulb. They will then grow on but not if left with her. It's some built in reaction to the need to replace the parent if damaged, but not, if all is well with the mature bulb. But if your main bulb is in a warm place, try her in a cooler, damper place. Like the parent winogradowii, she likes the moister conditions, as does `Katharine Hodgkin.' Probably `Frank Elder' too, but I haven't grown that so can't say from personal experience.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2007, 12:21:21 AM »
Lesley that's very interesting I will give it a try  thanks
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2007, 08:14:36 PM »
Going back a little to Ian's pic of `Sheila Ann Germaney,' Ian, dig the lady up and remove the rice-grain babies and plant them a little way from the mother bulb. They will then grow on but not if left with her. It's some built in reaction to the need to replace the parent if damaged, but not, if all is well with the mature bulb. But if your main bulb is in a warm place, try her in a cooler, damper place. Like the parent winogradowii, she likes the moister conditions, as does `Katharine Hodgkin.' Probably `Frank Elder' too, but I haven't grown that so can't say from personal experience.

Lesley, what's the timing of this please? Straight after flowering has finished or after leaf growth has died back? Would the "bairns" be OK planted in seed trays in a gritty loam based mix?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2007, 08:19:08 PM »
Going to poke my oar in here! We do lift and divide this type of Iris, (Katharine Hodgkin) sometimes when the leaves are just beginning to die back, for ease of remembering they need doing, but if you do it too early, the baby rice grain  bulbs haven't had time to develop. So, later is better for the babies. We just spread (plant) them around in the area of their Mums. No real need for seed trays etc.
What say you, Lesley?

PS. Great party, David, had the best time ever.Think it was down to the company.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2007, 08:26:51 PM »
While you were all gallivanting to Dunblane  :'( I was cursing my local pheasant for eating my leucojocks again. Now I must apologise, because I  just went out to look and he was not guilty (well maybe an accessory after the fact).
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2007, 08:30:10 PM »
Thanks Maggi. We are just back from a weekends mum-in-law visiting (apart from my visually partying in Dunblane) so I will post my post party views tomorrow maybe. I have thanked Lesley for the cake though.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2007, 08:33:13 PM »
Anne:
Oh my word, what an infestation! They must have thought you'd come to Dunblane as well so were making free in your absence. Hope you've got 'em all now? I must keep Ian away from this page, I don't know that he can cope with this kind of horror picture. :-\
If the freezing weather comes across from America again,  it'll make us grateful forthe chance to freeze a few slugs !
Actually, we thought you had stayed at home to watch forthe long-awaited narcissus to open!

David, don't think we didn't see you make off with the remains of the cake, what's the point of having Security at a party if not to find out what everyone was up to?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »
Yikes, Anne,

What an attack!

I presume you have the leucojums growing in a wet position and this would suit the slugs of course. B... No, I can't use bad language on the forum but those little buggers deserve it.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2007, 08:57:39 PM »
At a snowdrop lunch last year we were treated to Pheasant and prune stew with roasties and Yorkshire puddings. Very tasty. Would that perhaps make you do something with your bird? Pheasant shooting is now over for the hen birds but I think cocks are still fair game
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2007, 09:26:31 PM »
Yes, that pheasant would definitely be in MY pot. Not so sure about the slugs though.

David, Maggi's advise is good so far as the babies are concerned. I tend to leave them until fully dormant (early to mid summer) at which time they fall away from the parent easily. Before that they are still slightly attached sometimes. Either in another patch in the garden, or your seed tray alternative would be a good idea too and grow them on for a year fefore planting out or giving away or whatever. Here, I find that the babies will grow on to flowering size in no more than two years.

I dug some S A G a few days ago and the mature bulbs are already well rooted in (early August to you)late summer.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »
I do not know about slugs but I have eaten snails at that size!
This is a snack in Portugal just like peanuts or prezels is elsewhere maybe not that common though but exists.
This is not the big ones that they eat in Frensh resturants but really tiny ones.
Bon Apetit
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2007, 09:45:44 PM »
Asarum asaroides is open
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2007, 09:55:18 PM »
Thanks for another fascinating Asarum Chris. I could get really hooked on these.

Maggi, don't you think we could both easily lose masses of weight if the only snack we were allowed to eat were snails? They look so alive too. No thanks!

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2007, 09:55:56 PM »
I do not know about slugs but I have eaten snails at that size!
This is a snack in Portugal just like peanuts or prezels is elsewhere maybe not that common though but exists.
This is not the big ones that they eat in Frensh resturants but really tiny ones.
Bon Apetit
Joakim
;D ;D ;D
I thought Anne's slugs looked strangely familiar.
Yum - Portuguese snails - my kiddies love them too!

Chloë
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal