We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus - July 08 SH  (Read 15259 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Crocus - July 08 SH
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »
I've just had the first flower on Crocus flavus from seed, but the flower was lying on the ground due to the frost this morning!
78011-0
Maybe it'll still be around by the weekend when I can take a pic of the flower open? Maybe not!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10:47 AM »
Fermi,

Congratulations!!  Well done.  Lovely picture of the frost on the leaf too.  I think that the rain of last week has brought some things on crocus-wise.... I've had C. saturnus pop up and open this week out of nowhere, and C. minimus put up buds on Monday (they weren't there on Sunday) but they still haven't fully opened as yet.  This was particularly pleasing for me as I nearly lost minimus a couple of years back when about 90% of the corms died off one year.  Having it back to flowering again is a big relief.  Not quite the same as first time from seed though Fermi!!  You must be pleased! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »
Poor old 'Hubert Edelsten' just can't open up because of continual drenching. Isn't there a song that goes "The rain it raineth every day?" Well it sure doth.

78257-0
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 10:23:15 AM »
Good luck Lesley.  No signs of Hubert here yet, although I haven't checked tags on other varieties that have leaves but no buds as yet.  Still only got one and a bit corms of him, so will be many many years before I ever get a display like yours, sunshine or no sunshine!!

Sunshine here the last couple of days has finally matured the Crocus minimusbuds that appeared overnight on Sunday night.  Finally got them to open today.  One of my absolute favourite species because of the outer markings, and I just love that from the outside when closed you'd expect it to perhaps be white, when it is actually such a strong lavender colouration.  Beautiful!!!!!  particularly satisfying as I nearly lost it a few years ago and have managed to build it back up to flowering size now.  Hopefully will thrive and get lots of flowers next year.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:31:38 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 12:36:12 PM »
Beautiful crocuses everyone; thanks for sharing them with us. 

Paul, those minimus and corsicus are exquisite.  Well done too on the new bulb garden 8)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2008, 01:28:51 PM »
Lovely to see the SH crocuses folks. Sorry to see you are getting a lot of Devon weather Lesley. It started raining here at lunchtime yesterday and hasn't stopped yet!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »
Paul,
indeed a very beautiful C.minimus.

Lesley,
hope you will get more sunshine so that Hubert Edelsten will open buds. Very beautiful.
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal