We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2021 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 3678 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: October 2021 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 02:07:54 PM »
Well this I think will be the last posy of summer.

Anemone, Scabious, Knautia and Rhodanthemum.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Mariette

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2021, 09:35:34 PM »

There are a handful of local Ribes species, all are appealing for early spring flowers and foliage, many for attractive and/or tasty fruit in summer, and all have good fall colour from gold to red, everything between, and with so many plants, over a long season of colour. This one sharing space with an old lawn mower.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

The leaves of this Ribes have a gorgeous colour, Cohan! I´ve never seen a species with such red leaves in autumn! Do You know which one this is? By the way, the combination with the old lawn mower looks very inspiring, too!

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2021, 09:17:01 AM »
Shelagh, it is nice to still have flowers to pick from the garden:).
Here evergreen plants (like Helleborus, Epimedium and such) are now taking over and are at their best, and continue until snow comes.
Many people here refer this as black time when there is no snow and days are shorter, and of course in cities with asphalt it is black, but I see winter without snow more green with evergreen plants shining in the garden, and forests so green with mosses, spruces and pines.

Cohen, that Ribes is fantastic red! My Ribes in the garden have mostly yellow fall colour.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2021, 05:06:42 PM »
I wrote wrong that I don't have any flowers in the garden. I forgot Aster 'Little Carlow' which started to flower only a week ago, much later than usually, and it is now a cloud of blue. It's flower buds survived even two -4C nights.
The second picture is Chamaenerion angustifolium in the edge of the garden. I think it always looks so pretty, especially in the autumn with brown stems.
Leena from south of Finland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2021, 07:49:45 PM »
The leaves of this Ribes have a gorgeous colour, Cohan! I´ve never seen a species with such red leaves in autumn! Do You know which one this is? By the way, the combination with the old lawn mower looks very inspiring, too!

sorry to be so late to respond, Mariette and Leena! I'm not totally certain which Ribes that is, we have a handful of species and the plants are everywhere! Some easy to distinguish, others I have not payed close enough attention- however most/all of them have excellent colour from golds and oranges through bright reds to burgundy, cranberry etc-- some of the variations depend on the specific spot where the plant is growing... This one *could* be oxyacanthoides, though leaves seem a bit acute, I do think it is one of the *gooseberry* rather than *currant* types, for what little that distinction may mean!!
I have one Ribes planted by my aunt, which I assume is a Eurpean species-- although the growth is more dense than the native species, it is in all other ways less exciting! It can turn a very nice deep gold some years (maybe would be better in full sun), and nice complement to the berries, but it doesn't usually have many...lol  All the natives are very colourful.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 07:52:37 PM by cohan »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal