We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2020  (Read 11177 times)

Tim Harberd

Re: Galanthus January 2020
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2020, 08:59:15 PM »
Hi Roma,

I guess you're right   Any flower name is in danger of being ‘ of it’s time ’… Perhaps Fred’s snowdrop was truly a Giant, at the time, amongst the snowdrops of his friends… I wonder how future growers will come to view the name ‘ Pink Panther ‘!!

Tim DH

WSGR

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2020, 06:09:06 AM »
The only Wasp that I had and it was snapped. I had to pick it up from the ground to photo its beautiful innard!
656723-0
656725-1
The last one baffles me - a Dionysus or Hippolyta?

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2020, 09:19:40 AM »
Some bright Sun this morning and some great classics.

First up, Gold n Green, a new one for me but a wonderful addition to the yellows, originating in Scotland.
656743-0

Next, a forest of Green Tear
656745-1

Next, a lovely group of Ecusson D'or' (Simon Savage variation). Works so much better in a pot, really clumps well.
656747-2

Finally, Ronald Mackenzie, one of the classics that also does better in a pot.
656749-3

Several of these and others are available now from Ian Christie on:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sgtmajor47/m.html?item=292003854850&hash=item43fcc93a02%3Ag%3AONYAAOSw2xRYf8DO&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

WSGR

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2020, 09:22:37 AM »
Magical! Such beautiful dainties! What do you use as compost please?

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2020, 12:07:54 PM »
Magical! Such beautiful dainties! What do you use as compost please?

I use two basic mixes, both contain:

60% Growing medium of JI3 for the greens/whites, pocs, Iocs etc OR JI Ericaceous for the Yellows and SOME of the Scottish drops at 40% of total mixture PLUS 20% composted bark

40% Structural medium of 15% Cornish grit, 15% horticultural grit which is generally larger than the Cornish and 10% Perlite.

As this is a light mix, I always include a light feed with watering.

Hope this helps.

ielaba2011

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 12:23:00 AM »
These were the only Galanthus elwesii I've had ...not too pleased with it. But, I know who is to blame, I've had lots of moles activity exactly where they were growing - next year I will bilt some small net cages for them to grow safe! ::)
I want this walk full of galanthus in the future in my garden ( I still have some G. nivalis coming through).
Jaime, Central Portugal; Zone 9.

www.jamesjardimsuspenso.blogspot.com

WSGR

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 06:47:48 AM »
These were the only Galanthus elwesii I've had ...not too pleased with it. But, I know who is to blame, I've had lots of moles activity exactly where they were growing - next year I will bilt some small net cages for them to grow safe! ::)
I want this walk full of galanthus in the future in my garden ( I still have some G. nivalis coming through).

Thank you so much. I potted some of mine up with garden soil and only a few have flowers!  :( One whole year wasted!

WSGR

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 07:36:58 AM »

I use two basic mixes, both contain:

60% Growing medium of JI3 for the greens/whites, pocs, Iocs etc OR JI Ericaceous for the Yellows and SOME of the Scottish drops at 40% of total mixture PLUS 20% composted bark

40% Structural medium of 15% Cornish grit, 15% horticultural grit which is generally larger than the Cornish and 10% Perlite.

As this is a light mix, I always include a light feed with watering.

Hope this helps.

Oh, dear! I clicked the wrong Quote and quoted the post from Portugal. Ah, I really don't know how to use this site. I will .. in due course. Thank you for the advice. What do you feed your beauties with please? Your galanthus are simply stunning.

WSGR

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 07:38:44 AM »

A light sprinkling of chilli powder might help. Critters don't like them. Don't get the powder too close to the crown though!

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2020, 09:28:56 AM »

Jaime, it seems your G. elwesii do very well - strong and healthy growing!
 At least this species enjoys your conditions. Also your bed looks nice.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

ielaba2011

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2020, 11:53:06 PM »
Thank you Gerd,

Yes the plants really look healthy, I knew that Galanthus elwesii would do well in here since last year...but, moles were a set back...the bulbs are too tiny to cope with that much activity, I should have done something before, but next time I know what to do, and I will put the remaing bulbs in net cages. It seams that Galanthus elwesii withstand some degree of drought during summer, but they will be in the shade for the entire summer time.

I grow Helleborus, Primula, Narcissi, Geranium, Epimedium, etc...in this bed, but Galanthus will stand out as the main plant at this time. ;D

Jaime, it seems your G. elwesii do very well - strong and healthy growing!
 At least this species enjoys your conditions. Also your bed looks nice.

Gerd
Jaime, Central Portugal; Zone 9.

www.jamesjardimsuspenso.blogspot.com

WSGR

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 08:10:55 AM »
I have 2 Wendy's Gold this year. One petal has already gone missing! :'(

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 11:16:19 AM »
A delighted Heads Up introduction to some new Andy Byfield stunners, accompanied by a not so new Byfield gem. Andy has a great eye for a standout snowdrop, across a number of species. True to form, I like to get my specials from the originator whenever possible.

First, G. valentinei Fridge Magnet a wonderful, new, vigorous beauty as can be seen from the clump, with a lovely green fade on the inner.
656861-0

Another new special G. Ate Tea a delightful rizehensis with a striking inner marking and great shape.

656867-3

G. Whiter Than White  one of my favourites. A brilliant white colour with deep green markings, which is stunning.
656869-4
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:25:47 AM by Blonde Ingrid »

Stefan B.

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 07:18:06 PM »

Galanthus elwesii
 ;)

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »
Heads Up, another new one from Andy Byfield, Galanthus byzantinus ‘Albatross’  This is a striking, vigorous variety  with lovely inner markings. A great addition to the Andy collection

656903-1

Twister, one of Andy's deep green series.

G, Lemongrass, a lovely yellow which bulks well. 
656907-3   
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 12:35:57 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal