We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2019  (Read 9751 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: October 2019
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2019, 02:15:54 PM »
Five more.

653928-0

653932-2

653934-3

653936-4
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 04:57:01 PM by Maggi Young »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2019, 02:45:54 PM »
Due to the warm temperatures of the last weeks some plants in the rock garden play crazy... Physoplexis comosa var. pubescens.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »
Wonderful autumn colours! Here most are gone, only Rosa spinosissima (Finnish white double) has still good colour.

This fall has been very wet. Rain almost every day. Not all plants like it!
The Colchicums certainly do not :-\

How big clumps of Colchicums you have, they really like your garden.
I have also both 'The Giant' and 'Waterlily', and they fall over here, too. Some cultivars/species are more prone to it, I think. C.autumnale is flat on it's face almost the next day after it has come up, even in good weather, but I like them anyway.
'Poseidon' has quite sturdy stems in flowers. This picture was taken last week and it's first flowers came up in the beginning of October.
Leena from south of Finland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 12:08:57 PM »
October (and indeed September) have been very wet here with Maureen having logged 22 wet days in October. Certainly the early part of November promises to be just as wet (if not wetter!) if the Met. Office proves right. A very late (or early) Pulsatilla has at least struggled to put up a bit of colour.

654180-0

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Leena

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2019, 07:57:52 AM »
Here the last week of October was cold. Several nights between -4 and one even -6, and days barely above zero, but also sun from tim to time.
Last night it started to rain and now it is +5°C.
'Poseidon' with frost.
Sun shining through ferns.
Just before frosts I started to make a new bed for spring plants. This is a spot where snow melts first in the spring, and in the bed behind are my earliest snowdrops, so I'm thinking also this bed is going to be a good one for early flowers. In the summer it is quite dry and shady. I already planted Hepatica americana, grown from Gabriela's seeds, and some crocus bulbs and moved two small snowdrop clumps, but I will plant more of them next summer. :)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »

How big clumps of Colchicums you have, they really like your garden.......

Like a weed...

Here the last week of October was cold. Several nights between -4 and one even -6, and days barely above zero, but also sun from tim to time.
'Poseidon' with frost.
Just before frosts I started to make a new bed for spring plants. This is a spot where snow melts first in the spring, and in the bed behind are my earliest snowdrops, so I'm thinking also this bed is going to be a good one for early flowers. In the summer it is quite dry and shady. I already planted Hepatica americana, grown from Gabriela's seeds, and some crocus bulbs and moved two small snowdrop clumps, but I will plant more of them next summer. :)

Exciting with a new bed! I also have planted some Hepaticas from Gabriela's seed but the sheep unfortunately damaged some.

We have just had one night with -1C but many plants struggle in the wet weather.

Here is one example, Crocus sativus
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Leena

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2019, 05:22:42 PM »
Thanks Trond. You may have noticed that the fern in the new bed is one from you some years ago. :)

Stefan B.

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
autumn :)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2019, 09:40:51 PM »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2019, 09:46:56 PM »
'Poseidon' with frost.

You seem to have unlimited garden space Leena :) Always making new beds! which all turn out wonderful. Hepatica with Crocus and Snowdrops, I already picture how beautiful will be in the spring time!
 'Poseidon' looks very nice with frost.

Just few pictures I did before the weather turned bad 3 days ago; the fall has been all gold this year: Polygonatum 'Spiral Staircase', Aruncus aethusifolius, an Epimedium among Carya leaves. There are still C. speciosus flowering.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2019, 07:39:12 PM »
Nice Autumn photos
I was surprised when I during a lunch work saw a flowering plant and looking closer it looked like something from the malveaceae
Not something I would expect to see in full flower in end of October even if there had been light frost some days earlier
There was an other plant on the other side of the road.
Is this a different one than the normal summer one we have?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:03:52 PM by Maggi Young »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

ian mcdonald

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2019, 11:51:19 AM »
Joakim, could you get a close up picture of the flowers and leaves?

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »
... something from the malveaceae ...

Malva moschata?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

ian mcdonald

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2019, 07:38:11 PM »
Thats what I thought Ashley but the leaves look a bit broad.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 08:03:22 PM »
I will try to get a better photo tomorrow of the leaves
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal