We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: N.cyclamineus from seed  (Read 1475 times)

Jack Meatcher

N.cyclamineus from seed
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:18:14 AM »
About 2 years ago, I used this Forum to ask about my difficulties with getting N. cyclamineus seeds to germinate. I was advised to buy a couple of pots from a nursery, collect any seed produced, then sow the seed as fresh as possible. I took the advice and it has worked wonderfully. The home collected seed has germinated and emerged really well while seed from other sources has not germinated so freely.

So, this is a thank you to the members who responded to my post.

Incidentally, I got the pots of flowering plants from the garden centre at RHS Wisley and those bulbs are flowering well again this year.

Jack Meatcher
The Learner

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: N.cyclamineus from seed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »
So good to hear of your success, Jack.  It will always be worthwhile collecting  the seed to sow and keep the colony going.  The babies will become more and more suited to your conditions and you should be able to have the pleasure of these  plants from now on. :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: N.cyclamineus from seed
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
That's great Jack, and as Maggi says, the seedlings will be more adapted to your conditions so should begin to seed about themselves in due course.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal