We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Four days in the Balkans  (Read 4082 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Four days in the Balkans
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 11:43:22 PM »
Great pics Tim.  The hercegovinus in particular are stunning.  Mine has deigned to put up a single leaf this year, but I should be pleased as I had thought it was DEAD, so the leaf was a bonus.  So what sort of conditions were these growing in naturally?  I obviously should have mine somewhere else, so maybe you can give some insight into their natural conditions as I'd love mine to do somewhat better than it currently is!  ::)

Thanks so much for the pics.   :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tim Murphy

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 08:29:18 AM »
Thanks for all of your comments and especially to you, Hjalmar, for telling me what my mystery "snake" was. Good to know that it was harmless.

Hans, I can't remember if we saw Epimedium alpinum or not. I have seen an awful lot of it in the Balkans and we did visit one Helleborus atrorubens site close to Zagreb where epimedium forms groundcover, but the whole area was under several inches of late snow.

Paul, the hercegovinus were growng in a range of conditions. The biggest plants and those with the most finely divided foliage were growing out in the open. They were exposed to the elements and must get a hiding from strong winds and high summer temperatures/strong sunlight. No doubt this is why this species has evolved pubescent, finely divided leaves to minimise moisture loss. We did see plants growing in shade in Bosnia but these were generally smaller plants with wider leaflets and fewer flowers.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 08:34:57 AM »
Thank you for your information Tim !
I will contact you if I will planning my next trip in Balkan.

Best wishes
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal