We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus April 2008  (Read 29684 times)

Guff

• USA New York
Re: Crocus April 2008
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2008, 10:58:57 PM »
I bought Haarlem Gem last fall from BulbMeister. I see two grow tips so far, I think I bought 3 corms. I will take a picture if one flowers.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »
Lesley, thanks. My first big order of crocus was going to be on my dog's grave, but then I made my fall 06 holding bed. So this time I saved 800 crocus to put on the grave. I still have another dog's grave to do, but I have snowdrops, tigerlily's, bloodroot, daffodils seedlings growing, so I have to wait a few more years before I can dig those out, and redo with crocus.  It does have maybe 40 crocus, 4 tulips, and some daffodils on the grave though.

Picture is from last spring.
Second picture is the one I wanted to post.

First picture is my dog's grave from last spring, now with the 800 crocus.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:35:33 PM by Guff »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 01:48:40 AM »
I hope you don't have to dispose of a dog each time you want to start a new bulb bed? ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2008, 01:58:03 AM »
crocus cultivar ‘Haarlem Gem’. Has anyone seen this in commerce recently? 

Jim, you will find it here

http://shop.bulbmeister.com/fall/fall.html?q=Crocus%20(Spring)&s=75&l=25&z=0

Thanks, David. And that's a lot closer to home than I expected.
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2008, 04:27:49 AM »
Lesley, my two dogs were Christmas gifts from my brother, and they were also brothers. Dogs are too much like a person, and when they die it's hard to deal with. I don't have a dog, and I doubt I ever will again. So no, no dog is required for new crocus. I do have cats though, by the way, all those expensive crocus I bought last fall are on my cats grave.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2008, 06:44:13 AM »
Tony,
Yesterday I took away all the flowers on the variety "Queen of the Blues" for safety, as there is always a massive bee attack on my crocuses. I'll wait until next spring to see what's the case and, of course, I will inform about the results. I think i'll be useful for all of us to know.
Now I think about a method or a chemical to frighten the bees and keep them away from my plants. As I see they cause a lot of harm to my plants every year. Some bulbs, which are especially succeptable to viruses, I isolate from bees, and on them I never observe virus infection at all, while 20-30% of non-isolated plants catch virus every year.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 06:52:13 AM »
Guff,

Your idea about taking such a special care about dog' grave is pretty nice. Though it sounds quite strange for our culture, but I wellcome it. I imagine how you loved them.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2008, 10:42:33 AM »
Lesley, I will not use the "V"-word - but I should!!! Your medius is not looking good!!!

Howard, your seedling looks great - is this the one you showed 2 or 3 years ago?
I don't know any cultivar looking like this one!

Guff, what a wonderful grave - hope Chris will create mine like this one !!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »
Thats a lovely hybrid seedling. Interesting colour blend.

Here in Canberra, not as many crocus flowering as yet. C. goulimyi in the main garden has a clump of about 10 flowers up, of which the first opened today.  In the new crocus garden there are leaf shoots emerging on two different goulimyi forms, plus a bud on mathewii as well as the last flower on pulchellus.  Out the back of the house I have a bud on a new asuminae which I will post a pic of when it opens to confirm it is correct.  Hopefully this time I can grow it successfully..... it's planted into a massive (4 feet wide or so) pot with a Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem' plus assorted little special bulbs.  This should hopefully give a good soil mass to give them all a little more insulation than the small pots.  I check the new crocus garden every day, but still very few signs of crocus as yet.  Lots of leaves on Narcissus bulbocodium/romieuxii cultivars etc, but still very few crocus.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

HClase

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2008, 07:04:06 PM »
No Thomas, this is not the same one, but it arose in the same bed.  The bronze one was really outstanding amongst its parents, but, as you can see there was a mass of corms mixed up with Ash roots as well, and I didn't manage to extract it safely - if I remember rightly it was deeper than I'd expected.  Here, for old times sake, is what it looked like.  I'm always hoping for another!  Like anyone who grows C. chrysanthus cultivars in any number I get a lot of new seedlings, mostly of little interest, but the ones from the 'Princess Beatrix' bed seem to be especially good.  I'm really more interested in the species, but the variation in this group is difficult to ignore!  Pictures are from 2004.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:09:01 PM by HClase »
Howard Clase, St John's, Newfoundland.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2008, 09:31:40 PM »
Uklin Strain and Tatra Shades.  Picture taken with my camera, so picture quality is terrible. Tatra Shade isn't the same form Tony G posted in March(C vernus x tommasinianus), bummer. Still nice though.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2008, 06:08:32 AM »
Howdy All,

Here's another one from here in the southern hemisphere...... purchased a couple of years ago as Crocus pallassii ssp dispathacea.  Quite an elegant thing, and extremely intricate when you get down close and look at it.  It literally appeared since yesterday afternoon, as I checked the garden after I got home from work as I do each day.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2008, 06:15:23 PM »
Tatra Shades. I should have a vernus ssp. vernus var. heuffelianus flower open tomorrow.

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »
After a flowering-period from nine months, here is my last crocus for this spring;
a small and late form from Crocus minimus with the name 'Little Beauty'
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2008, 09:26:41 PM »
Dirk

Hope I might see something as good during my trip to Iran - leaving tomorrow.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal