We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 4662 times)

François Lambert

Re: August in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 05:29:27 PM »
Tigridia time in the garden.  For the first time 3 colors of Tigridia Pavonia, and for the very first time Tigridia Vanhouttei is flowering.  One must be on the lookout to find this one in flower, the flowers are very small and don't have spectacular colours as the Pavonia.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
This is Cobaea pringlei - it is a perennial climber and perhaps hardy here (7b) - I have to test it.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
A few shots from around the garden today. The big news is that my seedling Nelumbo nucifera var. komarovii has bloomed for the first time!

Very nice! Lotus flowers are so spectacular. Have you tried our native Nelumbo lutea?
Last year I grew a seedling out of curiosity - then gifted it away, no pond to keep it.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

GordonT

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »
Hi Gabriela, I've been tempted to try Nelumbo lutea... a bit hesitant because to date, our choice of plants for the edges of our ponds have been over enthusiastic growers. I suspect both species of Nelumbo will be similar.

When we dug the two ponds in 2010, we envisioned nice water gardens. Now, I have to routinely get into chest waders, and take a rake to root out excessive growth of Sagittaria latifolia, Alisma subcordatum, and Mentha aquatica.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 11:46:34 PM »
Hi Gabriela, I've been tempted to try Nelumbo lutea... a bit hesitant because to date, our choice of plants for the edges of our ponds have been over enthusiastic growers. I suspect both species of Nelumbo will be similar.

When we dug the two ponds in 2010, we envisioned nice water gardens. Now, I have to routinely get into chest waders, and take a rake to root out excessive growth of Sagittaria latifolia, Alisma subcordatum, and Mentha aquatica.

What you describe here I've seen in other gardens with ponds Gordon. So, when I first saw the pond forumist Robert Pavlis has I couldn't believe it! It is a natural pond, with no filters, pumps and the likes, no invasive species, everything grows and lives in perfect harmony. Hard to believe I know, but it's true.
I do not intend to do advertising here but he also wrote a book about building ponds; as well, he can be contacted for advice, which he always gladly provides :)
http://www.buildingnaturalponds.com/
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »
What you describe here I've seen in other gardens with ponds Gordon. So, when I first saw the pond forumist Robert Pavlis has I couldn't believe it! It is a natural pond, with no filters, pumps and the likes, no invasive species, everything grows and lives in perfect harmony. Hard to believe I know, but it's true.
I do not intend to do advertising here but he also wrote a book about building ponds; as well, he can be contacted for advice, which he always gladly provides :)
http://www.buildingnaturalponds.com/

The talents of SRGC forumists are pretty much endless! http://www.robertpavlis.com/
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 11:12:39 PM »

Cyclamen graecum

Cyclamen hederifolium out in the garden.

It looks like a 38C - 40C day today.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »
We keep dormant bulbs in the garage over winter. Today suddenly spotted that Ipheion/Tristagma Alberto Castille is 6 inches tall.  What's happening :o
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

François Lambert

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 06:03:53 PM »
From time to time I have my fingers itching to add new plants to my garden.  So, this January I purchased some seeds of Paulownia on E-bay and have sown them as soon as they arrived so they get a decent cold stratification.  A prior attempt to sow Paulownia without stratification and covered with some sand had failed - I also learned they need light to germinate.  I hoped to have more success this time.  I sowed 4 species of Paulownia, only 2 germinated.  But, I'm more than rewarded with this attempt.  Although at the very start they are slow growers, once they get a certain size - and after pricking them out into decent sized pots - they really start to grow very fast - right now you can even see them growing from one day to the next.  I would have been very happy to have one tree to plant somewhere, but I couldn't just throw away all those nice seedlings, so I have almost 20 of them.
Another funny coincidence is that I reused pots where I had sown Dietes seeds 4 year ago, however they never germinated.  That was untill now, apparently the cold wet stratification finally triggered the Dietes seeds to germinate also.  So I have pots with seedlings of Dietes growing between the Paulownia seedlings.
And for the record, the fluffy foliage just behind the big leaves of Paulownia (Elongata on the pic) is Eucalyptus Pulchella - I also wanted to start a small Tasmanien corner.  These were sown at the same time & under the same conditions as the Paulownia seeds.  And of these too I have (too) many to plant out.  And they are really ready for planting out now before the roots get potbound.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 07:56:27 PM »
With Autumn now on our NH doorsteps there is still some colour in the garden. I don't usually go for bedding plants but the quadrant below now covered with bedding Lobelia hadn't been dug over for many years and had become very compacted and full of Chionodoxa luciliae. So, in the very early part of the Summer, I dug out all the Chionodoxa (over a bucket-full), gave the soil a good turnover, mixed it with composted bark and edged the reduced-sized quadrant with some spare stone (scrounged from a neighbour!) But, what to do with the Chionodoxa? Well, I excavated a good barrow-full of soil, tipped the bulbs from the bucket into it, spread them around a bit with my fingers and filled the hole back in. Spring next year will show if this was successful but at least I hope the stone edging will 'tame' them a bit.

It being early Summer it took a bit of thinking what to plant in the newly bare soil but a visit to a local semi-wholesale nursery bought me a couple of trays of bedding Lobelia and a couple more of pink Geraniums (all for a Fiver) filled the space nicely. Backing these is a nice patch of Crocosmia solfatare and on the far right a patch of Tulbaghia violacea.

On the other side of the garden a patch of an unknown Zantedeschia that always looks a treat at this time of tear.

The trough (plastic, sorry!) has, amongst other things a couple of patches of Cyananthus microphyllus x lobatus 'Sherrifs'. I'm very happy with these as I have significantly failed twice with straight C. microphyllus in exactly the same place.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

brianw

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »
We keep dormant bulbs in the garage over winter. Today suddenly spotted that Ipheion/Tristagma Alberto Castille is 6 inches tall.  What's happening :o
Mine are in pots outside all year. The tallest Ipheon have leaves almost a foot long at present.
Collected the first seed from Acis autumnalis today just as the last flowers are going over.
Collecting seed of Galtonia candicans. A friend bought this as upside-down snowdrop recently ??????
Colchicum autumnale album and an unknown hybrid in full flower for some time now.
Tricyrtis macrantha ssp macranthopsis in flower.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »
With Autumn now on our NH doorsteps there is still some colour in the garden. I don't usually go for bedding plants but the quadrant below now covered with bedding Lobelia hadn't been dug over for many years and had become very compacted and full of Chionodoxa luciliae. So, in the very early part of the Summer, I dug out all the Chionodoxa (over a bucket-full), gave the soil a good turnover, mixed it with composted bark and edged the reduced-sized quadrant with some spare stone (scrounged from a neighbour!) But, what to do with the Chionodoxa? Well, I excavated a good barrow-full of soil, tipped the bulbs from the bucket into it, spread them around a bit with my fingers and filled the hole back in. Spring next year will show if this was successful but at least I hope the stone edging will 'tame' them a bit.

... and here it is today
610041-0

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 08:08:48 PM »
Isn't it great when a plan comes together Cheery little things, are they not?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal