We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2017 - Robert's botanical adventures in Northern California  (Read 92068 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2017 - Robert's botanical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #315 on: May 21, 2017, 01:54:56 PM »

In the Cache Creek canyon, Ceanothus parryi grew thickly on the surrounding slopes. The plants were in peak bloom and cast a blue haze on the surrounding chaparral.

I did stop to examine some of the Ceanothus. Plants with good lavender blue flowers were quite attractive. In late summer / early autumn this species looks half dead and is generally partially defoliated. In a garden setting I believe it could look nice late in the season, however I need to experiment with this idea in my own garden to find out.

More Iris appeared as I moved up the canyon. The plants were tangled in Poison Oak, however they look to be a yellow form of the highly variable species, Iris macrosiphon.

I was getting late in the day, so I did not take much time to examine the Iris closely. I was hoping to arrive at the forest service road, but as it turned out I had missed it. The idea that I was off course was sinking in. Clearly I was paying attention to plants and not the road.

The chaparral country I was traveling through look very interesting and promising, however I was far out of my way now and needed to return home.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »

The dirt road I was traveling on was in reasonably good condition. I made good time on my return trip to Bear Valley.

The hills drop off steeply to Bear Valley and there are some fantastic vistas from the summit.

I arrived back at the paved highway much sooner than I had expected so I stopped for a time near Rumsey Canyon on the lower portion of Cache Creek. During the winter I had explored a small portion of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Some time this season I will return to continue plotting the distribution of Arctostaphylos viscida ssp. pulchella in Yolo County.

Cache Creek still has plenty of water flowing down stream, but water is no longer flowing over the old cement bridge. I now have much easier access to the southern side of Cache Creek.

I will end this posting with a familiar sign I encounter on my outings.

My search for interesting plants does take me to some out-of-the-way locations. I encountered a similar sign on the dirt road to Steen Mountain in south central Oregon. Unlike today, back in the 1970’s Steen Mountain was a remote mountain out in the vast eastern Oregon desert. Back then there was a sign warning travelers of violent thunderstorms and flash floods. Of coarse, I had to get stuck in the mud – in a desert!  :-[  I had to hike 38 miles back to French Glenn to get some tools. There is not much in French Glenn and there was even less back then. A cowboy gave me the tools in needed and a ride back (99% of the way – his van could not pass the difficult sections of the dirt track) to my 1952 Chevy pickup listing in the mud. That was an adventure!

Anyway, my outing to Bear Valley and beyond was extremely successful. I logged over 150 taxa on this outing and certainly saw a diverse array of plants.

Now to plan my next outing. The snow is melting quickly in the Sierra Nevada and there are many locations I wish to return to, including Ebbetts and Sonora Passes. Snow Mountain, in the Coastal Mountains, is also on my mind.

Until next time…….
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2017, 02:10:12 PM »
Hi Robert, both species Rumex acetosella and Erodium cicutarium are invasive here. The former is a noxious weed almost  impossible to erradicate in any cultivated bed . The latter is an adventitous weed only in the early part of spring and can cover quickly seedling beds. Its dissappears by mid summer. I can successfully remove the lattter. Both however only appear in cultivated/disturbed ground not in native grassland. ( mainly Stipa tenuis).
Needless to add how valuable your posting is to my own search. I was wondering about Hesperocyparis sargentii under cultivation. I grow H.glabra here as wind breaks. They reseed freely. They are very drought resistant. I would expect the same for H.sargentii, perhaps even more by your pics!

Arturo,

I have to admit that I have no information about the cultivation of Hesperocyparis sargentii in California. Calflora might be a good place to look. Given its native habitat it must be extremely drought tolerant. At the site I visited, I did notice that there was a ground water supply - otherwise there would not any Rhododendron occidentale. It was not determined if the ground water was localized or widespread. I suspect that it was localized and that the Sargent Cypress were indeed very xeric.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2017, 02:32:38 PM »
Arturo,

. At the site I visited, I did notice that there was a ground water supply - otherwise there would not any Rhododendron occidentale. It was not determined if the ground water was localized or widespread. I suspect that it was localized and that the Sargent Cypress were indeed very xeric.
Could that mean that sargent's  Cypress is a phreatophyte perhaps? I had searched Calflora but didn't find much info  than which you already have given. Here's another potential to explore! On my farm, Maytenus boaria, native evergreen quite handsome tree ( Celastraceae) grows as a phreatophyte and seeds itself. Seedlings develop very long tap roots very early until they hit an underground source of water.  Thanks for your post.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Robert

« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2017, 03:08:38 PM »
Arturo,

I do not have enough information to determine if Hesperocyparis sargentii is a phreatophyte. I have read about other sites where this species grows and hope to visit these sites in the future. Given my knowledge of serpentine and soil conditions associated with serpentine my guess is that Hesperocyparis sargentii is not a phreatophyte - at least not in the way Platanus racemosa is (i.e. always indicative moisture or ground water). Serpentine is generally associated with extremely harsh and xeric growing conditions. Seasonally, serpentine based soils can be waterlogged due to poor soil drainage. The same site can be parched dry during the summer. Here in our part of California Mimulus guttatus is commonly associated with these wet-dry extremes.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

hamparstum

« Reply #320 on: May 21, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
Then logic would tell that in a very dry unwatered site C.sargentii should do well here. I've got quite a few places like that here on my property. Hm... very interesting. It seems a better alternative for dry sites than H.glabra. Very worth the while exploring.  Our soils are desert type soils, quite skeletal, but not necessarily shallow. The area receives at least 700 mm. rainfall during the rainy season. (May thru November). Then it dries up completely. It is exposed to drying winds all the time. I would suppose that is the case there too. Possibly they should fare well  unattended beyond the initial seedling stage at my nursery. Since our highs hardly ever go beyond 30ºC (86ºF) the evapotranspiration demand is much lower here than in their original location so that they should do better with summer drought here. I wonder why it never went into cultivation. Perhaps its not so glamourous (?) as H.arizonica or glabra. H.macrocarpa which originated from just one site at the Monterrey peninsula is cultivated throughout the world and here too. It asks for much more watering. Perhaps one day I can give a try to this species. Thank you very much
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Robert

« Reply #321 on: May 21, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »

As I find time, I have continued by probe into the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada. The other day I was able to drive up Iron Mountain road into the high country. This road follows the ridgeline south of the South Fork of the American River and provides some excellent views of the Crystal Range to the north.

The road was clear of snow until I reached 6,400 feet, 1951 meters.

There was still a fair amount of snow out in the forest. I want to closely monitor conditions as the snow melts so I can study Carex species as they quickly emerge from the soil and come into bloom. At high elevations in the Sierra Nevada, Carex is often a pioneer species that will quickly revegetate disturbed sites. A surprising number of species are involved and it is very interesting to watch the process.

Where the snow has just melted Prunus emarginata is starting to break dormancy and coming into growth.

Sanicula tuberosa is one of the first species to starting into growth immediately after the snow melts. It, Dicentra uniflora (which looks very similar before it blooms), and Lewisia triphylla are often seen growing together and will come into bloom within days of emerging from the soil.

Hackelia (pictured) and Sidalcea glaucscens are quickly coming into growth too.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #322 on: May 21, 2017, 06:16:51 PM »

After turning around at the snow, I drove down the road a very short distance to take a photograph of the Crystal Range.

Here Sanicula tuberosa was already flowering.

It was not taking long for the growth of Prunus emarginata to advance.

Viola purpurea ssp. purpurea grows abundantly in this area.

Penstemon laetus is another common species.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #323 on: May 21, 2017, 06:20:03 PM »

Eriogonum umbellatum var. polyanthum with the needles of Jeffrey Pine.

Even Eriogonum umbellatum var. polyanthum had flower buds. There are some nice specimens of this taxon in this area. I have grown plants from seed gathered in this area and have some fine plants from this accession.

Lupinus grayi is a beautiful species with large flower trusses.

Many of the Viola purpurea ssp. purpurea were in bloom.

Another Viola blooming next to a clump of Pedicularis semibarbata.

Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #324 on: May 21, 2017, 06:23:20 PM »

The flowers on this Viola were interesting. I liked the white margins on the petals.

Viola purpurea ssp. purpurea surrounded with chunks of rhyolitic tuff. The ridge in this area has layer upon layer of rhyolitic tuff. Farther up the ridge there are the original lava flows, which are now rocky outcroppings of rhyolite. This volcanic area is very different from the surrounding portions of the Sierra Nevada granite batholith. Although many species will grow in both regions there are still differences in the plant distribution associated with each geologic feature.

Seedlings of a Castilleja species, most likely Castilleja applegatei.

Allium obtusum var. conspicuum does not waste time coming into bloom either.

Eriogonum wrightii var. subscaposum will grow directly out of the rhyolitic tuff. Tuff is much softer than rhyolite, but the growing conditions are still harsh and extremely xeric.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #325 on: May 21, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »

A nice plump flower bud on Agoseris retrorsa.

Sheep sorrel, Rumex acetosella, is a noxious weed. I am surprised it hasn’t taken over the planet (with a few other noxious weeds). I have seen evidence that our native Carex species can out compete and eventually crowd out Sheep sorrel. I have observed sites where it seems to be occurring, however much more study is needed.

An example of the rhyolitic tuff and other volcanic debris along Iron Mountain road.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #326 on: May 21, 2017, 06:55:27 PM »
Then logic would tell that in a very dry unwatered site C.sargentii should do well here. I've got quite a few places like that here on my property. Hm... very interesting. It seems a better alternative for dry sites than H.glabra. Very worth the while exploring.  Our soils are desert type soils, quite skeletal, but not necessarily shallow. The area receives at least 700 mm. rainfall during the rainy season. (May thru November). Then it dries up completely. It is exposed to drying winds all the time. I would suppose that is the case there too. Possibly they should fare well  unattended beyond the initial seedling stage at my nursery. Since our highs hardly ever go beyond 30ºC (86ºF) the evapotranspiration demand is much lower here than in their original location so that they should do better with summer drought here. I wonder why it never went into cultivation. Perhaps its not so glamourous (?) as H.arizonica or glabra. H.macrocarpa which originated from just one site at the Monterrey peninsula is cultivated throughout the world and here too. It asks for much more watering. Perhaps one day I can give a try to this species. Thank you very much
Arturo

Yes,

Hesperocyparis sargentii would most likely thrive on your property. Hesperocyparis sargentii grows where 750 mm to 900 mm of precipitation fall each season.

The same socio-economic forces that have lead to the down-sizing of Glendoick (read the thread on this forum) have been active here in California. Many worthy species such as Hesperocyparis sargentii will never be in the horticultural trade. Small specialty nurseries have almost disappeared. Those that remain are most likely not economically viable, but more a labor of love. Who knows what the eventual outcome will be, but it appears it is up to us to find the opportunities in this adversity. There many aspects of horticulture that can always benefit from innovations and improvements. I look forward to more reports from your garden in Argentina.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

hamparstum

« Reply #327 on: May 21, 2017, 10:42:19 PM »
Yes Robert, <The same socio-economic forces that have lead to the down-sizing of Glendoick (read the thread on this forum) have been active here in California. Many worthy species such as Hesperocyparis sargentii will never be in the horticultural trade>. I think those same forces are destroying our planet by downsizing biodiversity everywhere. Leading to a monotonous boring uniform world...not my cup of tea. On the brighter side those of us that have reached a certain age class, still have time , energy and (limited) resources to spend in enhancing those values. Perhaps the markets will  reshape eventually to provide for the demand of the aging which are outnumbering the younger generations in so many parts of the world. Although I've reached 68, I still am sowing, growing and planting trees on my property. My dad reached 100 before he passed away...so perhaps I might see my trees reasonably well  grown. If not, then my godson who will inherit my place will benefit from that. We share the same worldview. He tries to instill these values to his children.
When I worked as conservation officer for the Argentine National Parks Administration, we used to argue in favor of conservation of in situ diversity as away of providing biological resources for the future. ex situ conservation is hugely benefited by growing plants that yet need to be introduced into the horticultural world on a global scale. Unexpected benefits can appear as more "weeds" become ornamentals , herbals, wood products, fibres and even alternative food source, etc. With more people involved in gardening and understanding the value of adding diversity to their gardens the already huge gardening economy can grow even more.  At my age, with most of my life concerns already fulfilled, I can spend my time and work force in developing a wider array of gardening alternatives. Initially it may be only a small drop in the ocean. Any change always started very small...
Thank you for posting your comments.
Kindly
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Robert

« Reply #328 on: May 22, 2017, 05:59:16 AM »
Arturo,

Thank you so much for your last posting. There are certainly troubling trends on the planet. These same forces have been plaguing humanity since the beginnings of civilization, the only difference now is that we have the scale and capacity to destroy most, if not all, humanity and a goodly part of the planet. Like you I do not have much, or any, control over the fate of the planet or humanity. Still, I do understand that my thoughts and actions have an impact that extends far beyond “me”. The inter-net, or this forum for that matter, can be an addiction…....... or it can be a tool used to bring a tiny touch of something better for oneself, others, and to this planet. This is what motivates me to do field botany, write the forum diary, garden, and other related activities. In terms of economy, power, or glory (some big driving forces on this planet) my activities in these regards are a failure. Still I think that I have been successful by sharing my horticultural experiences with others. Years ago, I sold many nursery plants to folks in Sacramento. To this day I still might see someone in the supermarket or elsewhere who tells me that they still have some wonderful plant in their garden that they bought from me. Others have told me that all the plants in their garden came from me! They seem very pleased and their lives enriched, even if only in a tiny way. Some have been inspired to become gardeners. For me this is success. I see people spreading good things on this forum everyday. This too is success. So like you, I continue to seed out, transplant, move plants around, tend my garden, do field botany, continue my education and write a horticultural diary. I also experiment, innovate, and plan, then share my experiences, good or bad, with others.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I enjoy them immensely!

P.S. Maybe I am asking for trouble but….. My wife’s ‘Papa’ (Grandfather) is (was – now in the realm of spirit) Austrian. He fled Austria in the 1930’s and ended up in Argentina. My wife is more or less fluent in Spanish and does well in German too (she lived in Vienna, when ‘Papa’ returned to Austria). The other half of her family is Norsk, but that is another story.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #329 on: May 22, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
Our prime minister, thatcher, said she wanted the UK to be like america. American political policy is dictated by big business. Did she get her way? OUR environment is not an optional extra, it is the reason we are here.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal