We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 11203 times)

François Lambert

Re: January 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »
Spotted in the garden this morning ... first signs of nature awakening with snowdrops showing their heads above the soil
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 04:52:15 PM »
You have spring for many months! How I wish it was like that here, but no. Ground has been frozen since November, in December the snow melted away for a while, but last week it was -24C one night, now around zero and next week below freezing again. Winter seems so long. At least there isn't very much snow, though it would be good for plants but not for me. I could see some snowdrops peaking from the ground after Christmas, but they will have to wait at least two or three months before they can begin to flower.
Couple of pictures from the garden yesterday.

Leena, it isn't much spring-like today! More like fall. The rain is pouring down (again) and although some shrubs and crocuses are in flower it isn't any pleasure to take a walk in the garden. It is difficult to walk on the lawn also as it is almost more crocus and snowdrop leaves than grass. The mean temperature for all December was +6.6C.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 04:55:22 PM »
Spotted in the garden this morning ... first signs of nature awakening with snowdrops showing their heads above the soil
Hopeful signs, François.  We even have a few snowdrops out in the garden here - they're looking rather lonely at the moment!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 08:01:01 PM »
You have spring for many months! How I wish it was like that here, but no. Ground has been frozen since November, in December the snow melted away for a while, but last week it was -24C one night, now around zero and next week below freezing again. Winter seems so long. At least there isn't very much snow, though it would be good for plants but not for me. I could see some snowdrops peaking from the ground after Christmas, but they will have to wait at least two or three months before they can begin to flower.
Couple of pictures from the garden yesterday.

Hang on Leena! Just the same here, plus occasional rains on top of the snow piles, so it seems 'icebergs' are starting to take shape ???
Eventually we'll have the same difficulty like Trond - "It is difficult to walk on the lawn also as it is almost more crocus and snowdrop leaves than grass. The mean temperature for all December was +6.6C." ;D
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2017, 08:20:40 AM »
I know Gabriela  :). Here in the south coast of Finland the mean temperature in December was -1°C.

We start the seedex on Thursday, so not long to wait for your seeds, Leena!

I'm looking forward to them.  :) I have also made a small order in December to Vlastimil Pilous (peonies and something else) and I'm waiting for them also, though I don't have pots yet ready like Frederick. And then there are some Helleborus coming my way, so sowing seeds is the best way to spend January.
Leena from south of Finland

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 05:24:45 AM »
Camelia japonica ‘Tamanoura’, about a month earlier than the usual.
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 08:25:09 AM »

Blizzard outside, flowers inside.

Cfred72

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »
On leave today. Wake up from the bedroom window.

559573-0
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

GordonT

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
Hannelore, what a cheerful spot of colour to have during the winter months! Is that Pereskia grandiflora?
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
Hannelore, what a cheerful spot of colour to have during the winter months! Is that Pereskia grandiflora?

Yes. It refuses to recognize that it lives in the Northern Hemisphere.  ;)  And it is one of the few indoor plants that like full sun behind the window.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2017, 02:56:47 PM »
What beautiful photographs of snow and the winter landscape!  :)   8)

The skies have finally cleared here in Northern California. Sadly some of the local levees have now failed and there is some flooding of homes in our area. More heavy rain is forecast starting Tuesday-Wednesday. It is good to have the drought "officially" be declared as ended in Northern California (not Southern California, yet). I personally like the rain and snow, however it is sad to see others flooded.

If time permits I will photograph some of our snow in the Sierra Nevada. The snow levels finally lowered. Snow is right up the road a very short distance. Our wildflowers will most likely be amazing this year!  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2017, 05:05:22 PM »
Cold wind here, no sign of snow yet. Soon be spring though. No snowdrops showing in the garden.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2017, 03:04:40 AM »
A little perspective  - 3500kms. to our west in southern Manitoba yesterday:

extreme blizzard the day long

winds gusting to 90km/hr

roads described as treacherous

whiteout conditions

mulitple vehicle collisions

wind-chill -50c

A lady of Pakistani decent who has lived in Winnepeg for 16 years said of the weather "back home this would be seen as the end of the world."

Well they don't have any rhodo buds to worry about.....

johnw
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:06:17 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 05:01:32 AM »
Sounds like the Sierra Nevada a few days ago. Category 5 Hurricane force winds, with wind gusts clocked at 250km/hr. Complete whiteout conditions; Interstate 80 closed to traffic; etc. Most likely what the Donner Party faced!

More benign .........

Jenkinson Reservoir full of water.  :)

This is the main water source for El Dorado County, California. Drought conditions have ended for Northern California.  8) Southern California is still having drought conditions.

Jenkinson Reservoir is at approximately 3,500 feet (1,067 meters). Here there were traces of snow. At Pollock Pines, elevation 4,000 feet (1,219 meters) there was 3" to 6" of snow. I would love to check on Peavine Ridge. My guess is that there is about 1 meter of snow there.  :)

Arctostaphylos viscida ssp. mariposa front and center, with its glandular-hairy stems!  8)   The more I study them the more variance I find. The Genus is extremely fascinating.  8)

Chamaebatia foliolosa, Bear Clover, looking good with the snow. This species is a very common evergreen ground cover at this elevation. Bear Clover is often seen with another evergreen ground huger, Polygala cornuta var. cornuta. I saw plenty of this species while I checked on the Reservoir.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »
Got a couple cm of snow (sleet and hail actually) yesterday. It lingers still and the cold weather will last until Monday they say.

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal