We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum  (Read 100498 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Tropaeolum
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2009, 01:07:08 AM »
A different and most attractive colour for a Tropaeolum Roma.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2009, 07:16:41 AM »
Roma,

Very nice.  Was it supposed to be a hybrid, or was it just not quite right for the given species?  I would be interested to know what the parents of it were.  Love the colour and form to it.  Thanks for the pic. :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Roma

« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2009, 08:51:51 PM »
Paul,

The tropaeolum was grown from SRGC seed as Tropaeolum hybrids.  I don't remember how many seeds there were but only one germinated.
Steve McFarlane posted pictures of his own tropaeolum hybrids on page 5 of this topic so he may have sent in the seed .
I hope more germinate next year and reappear more reliably than T's azureum and hookerianum ssp. astropurpureum.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »
Hi,
What an extraordinary Tr Azureum...Congratulations Mike! I wish mine had flowered like that...This year, I've been luckier with young seedlings than with tubers ( which grew but failed to bloom for some obscure reason ).
Roma's pic is really wonderful. Like the ones shown by Steven Mc Farlane. I'll post interesting one soon. I've read that these hybrids are mainly from crosses between Tr Hookerianum ( ssp Austropurpureum probably ) and Tr Beuthii. If you have a close look at the flower, the petals shape refer to the former while the spur looks like the latter. Maybe Steven Mc Farlane can help?
Lyon / FRANCE

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2009, 10:41:58 AM »
Thanks for the cultivation advice re. T. azureum, Maggi - I don't think I've quite got the heart to "...pinch out the growing tip" just yet though and, as you suggest, do it in later years - if I can keep it alive that long, of course!?

Do you think it would be happier growing in a relatively wide tray as opposed to a narrow pot? I know that Sandersonia, e.g., seems to be much happier if grown that way and also appreciates a bit of moisture throughout the year - not that I'm suggesting they are related at all, but at a stretch of the imagination one could say they do occupy similar habitats in nature.

Here in SA I can buy large plastic trays that are approximately 30 x 40 x 10cm deep which make ideal homes for a wide variety of plants - primroses, cyclamen, miniature daffs all go dilly in them.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
My Tropaeolum azureum is setting seed.  Daft question, but would anyone like some seed?  Email me please.

Mike
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »
Yes!  Yes!  Pick me!  Pick Me!!

(I'm getting flashbacks to childhood when waiting to be picked for class sports teams.  ;D  Hopefully I do better at this one.... usually I was the fat kid that was picked last!  ::))

That all translates to.... "Yes, Mike.  I would be most interested in some seed if you happen to be able to spare a few."  ;)

Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Steven McFarlane

• Tropaeolum 2001
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2009, 12:27:03 PM »
Hi

Just a little note. Firstly Roma I think that your Hybrid seed probably came from Rosemary Wilson as I know that she sent seed to both AGS and SRGC exchanges.  My second generation of hybrids mostly seem to have a touch of tricolor in them. Few have been very different but this one is rather attractive.

142894-0

At present I have a number of tender species (sorry rock gardeners) in growth
T. moritzianum
T. smithii (Cally type)
T. peregrinum
T. fintelmanii olmosense (from seed given to me by Harry Hay)
T.peltophorum ( from seed given to me by Jean-Patrick Agier)
All are growing well and I will post pictures later in the summer.
Steven McFarlane  Milngavie near Glasgow Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2009, 12:42:12 PM »
Nice hybrid you have there, Steven. We'll  look forward to seeing your "tender types " later .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #189 on: June 13, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »
Oooh, Steven.  That little hybrid is lovely.  Looking forward to seeing pics of the others you mentioned too, when you have flowers on them.  Here in the southern hemisphere I have tricolor and brachyceras come into growth recently that should flower soon.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

maggiepie

« Reply #190 on: June 13, 2009, 04:47:57 PM »
This is my babbie Tropaeolum tricolor, unfortunately I broke one of the flowers when I picked it up to take a pic  :'(

Not sure what I am supposed to do with it, can it be repotted at this stage?
The seeds came from the SRGC seedex this year and all 5 germinated  ;D
I didn't realize it would flower so soon.

Helen Poirier , Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #191 on: June 13, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »
You could pot t it on carefully, helen, to give it more room and food....It'll grow for quite a bit yet and will likely go on to give you lots more flowers. Wait thill they get grown up....you'll have hundreds of flowers!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:48:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

maggiepie

« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »
Thanks Maggi, needless to say I am totally thrilled  ;D ;D ;D
Helen Poirier , Australia

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #193 on: June 24, 2009, 03:32:44 PM »
Hi,
The seed exchanges are full of surprises. The seeds supplied are not sometimes what you're expecting. That was the case with this batch of seeds labelled as Tr. BEUTHII. In fact it was something different which flowered. Maybe the seed donor thought it was correctly named and the plants have cross pollinated spontaneously before harvesting the seeds ( thanks to the bees & other pollinators ) But indeed I really don't mind for these hybrids are much more interesting!!!
The one with brownish flowers gave 2 seeds. The second hybrid had very light yellow flowers ( whih is not so obvious on the pic ). I still don't have checked if tubers have been produced but I really hope so!!!
Lyon / FRANCE

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
A very well-chosen background for the browny one J-P  ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal