We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Auricula Show (National Primula and Auricula Society) Newbottle May 2015  (Read 1786 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
I took some pics at this show today
1. Ist prize for non-auricula in novice section. Sorry didn't get species name
2. Orwell Tiger
3. Wye Hen
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ChrisB

4. Icon
5. Prima
6. Stella South
7. Bilbo Baggins
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ChrisB

8. Jeff Scurton
9. Vera
10. Red Admiral
11. Joel
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ChrisB

12. Eaton Dawn
13. Night Eyes
14. Escombe
15. Lemon Drop
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ChrisB

16. Warwick
17. Sappho
18. Prague
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
Great photos chris of some great plants.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

I absolutely adore Primula auricula. Alas they detest Adelaide summers. I lost 5 (out of 5) just recently.  :'(

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Thanks Chris for these lovely images of beautiful plants. But, forgive me here, I'm tjhinking there is a rush to name anything and everything. Let's be honest, there are an awful lot of very similar plants with different names. In a very short time, confusion will be the order of the day and many will have their names mixed up. Is it just one person/firm naming all these or are there several different breeders all doing their bit to grab the market?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ChrisB

Hi Lesley,
I'll be corrected if wrong, but I think I read somewhere that auriculas have to be shown and given awards as seedlings at shows before they can be given names.  I agree there are many many names and some very similar plants, but at least there are colour variations and suchlike with them, much more than with snowdrops  ;)
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Spot on Chris. In the National Auricula and Primula Society Shows there are seedling classes and a raiser whose plant wins a class is invited to name the plant. Unless seedlings are of high quality and maintain the notion of 'difference' they won't win and won't get named.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ChrisB

They are very serious about it. It took the judges a long time to complete their task at this show, much longer than at our alpine shows. And there were far fewer exhibits to be assessed. And their society has been in existence for a long time apparently since 1873. So their rules and regulations have stood the test of time!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Well that's OK for the UK I suppose, but in effect it means that no-one else anywhere could legitimately name an auricula, no matter how good it was. Sorry, no thanks.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal