We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2008  (Read 68900 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Cyclamen 2008
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 09:58:13 PM »
Unglaublich,        Gerd!

Luit,
I will not adorn myself with borrowed plumes - I only made the pic and not the planting.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »
Add another Wow from this side of the world too.  What a stunning slope of coums.  Very special!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 01:17:51 PM »
A couple of pictures of my pale pseudibericum in flower. Yes Paul I am trying for seed!!
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 04:36:17 PM »
Hello all,
can Cyclamen cilicium have leaves scalloped (?) like hederifolium please?
Sorry, I don't have picture, it's the plant of a friend, who does not remember which species was it and where she purchased it. :-\
So, the pattern on the leaves are something like on this pic (from the Cyclamen society website), but the margins of the leaves are like my hederifolium's. I haven't seen the flowers.
I wonder if I should ask her to give me seeds or not. ::)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 05:00:39 PM by Kathrine J »
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Alberto

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »
Hello, does anyone grow C. somalense?

Ciao
Alberto

North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Gerdk

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 07:28:28 AM »
Hello, does anyone grow C. somalense?

Ciao
Alberto

Alberto,
I am sure there is nobody, but would be glad if I am wrong.
Maybe the original collection is still alive - but as far as I know no multiplication.
Make a trip to Somalia and try to introduce new ones. Italy is nearer to that country
than Germany and unfortunately I have no bullet-proof vest.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 08:13:32 PM »
Cyclamen somalense is entirely protected - rightly - and no-one should even dream of collecting it from the wild. The only possible exception would be for taxonomic/botanical study by a reputable botanic garden such as Kew, and only then with full, written permission from the relevant aurhority.

Having said that, it is known that some plants/animals can be better protected under cultivated or other man-made conditions but that's still no good reason or excuse for breaking the law.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 08:59:52 PM »
Lesley you are right it is strictly protected by armed gangs and murderers,quite unlike those in Greece and Turkey which are destroyed  at will by property developments.

I understand that all the plants in the one and only original collection died
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »
Well if so, that's terribly sad. Of course I had in mind a protection given by a legitimate government to endangered plants and certainly Cyclamen is protected under CITES. However, in a country like Somalia, where God alone knows who or what may be a legitimate government and that govt. probably intent only on remaining so, regardless of drought and famine, murder and mayhem, the flora is most likely the last thing on anyone's mind. Greece and Turkey, along with the newer middle and eastern European states at least have relatively stable government. It's a great shame that those few people or groups within those countries, who are truly concerned for the future of their natural assets, are without political power and are frequently treated as traitors if they voice opinions against unbridles development, ALL of which is ultimately for someone's personal profit, rather than the country's own good.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerdk

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 09:09:31 AM »
Cyclamen somalense is entirely protected - rightly - and no-one should even dream of collecting it from the wild. .

Lesley, dreams are not forbidden - I support plant protection, including and especially for Cyclamen. But what I wrote was only wishful thinking combined with a joke, I forgot to add a ;) - sorry.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »
I'm sorry too Gerd, I didn't mean to lecture you, or anyone else.  :-[ But you know me, I leap before I look. :-[

Yesterday I cleaned my kitchen windows inside. A momentous occasion I promise you. I was tired of dead flies as decoration so as I'd seen some little Cyclamen persicum forms in my local supermarket the day before, I trotted down the hill and bought 7. They were obviously short of water when I bought them so I put them in a large roasting pan and filled it with water to soak them. Then drained them and put them on the windowsill in clear plastic pots to catch the drips.

I expected that by this morning they would have perked up and be cyclamen-like again. Some have, to some extent but the pink one in the middle still looks decidedly downcast. :(  It is soaked right through so I don't know why it hasn't reflexed its petals properly but I have to admit, it looks as if it's on its last legs. :( :(

But they do all smell very nice, enough to scent the whole kitchen and adjoining dining room by the time I got out of bed this morning.  :) :)

43834-0

43836-1

43838-2

johanneshoeller

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 06:49:35 PM »
A few Cyclamen, but not in my garden. Wonderful different leaves and flowers. I hope I do not show too many pics. Should I remove pics?

Hans
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:54:23 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 07:46:28 PM »
That was a lovely display Hans.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 10:27:44 PM »
Hans,

An absolute pleasure to see such a mass of coums.  Don't you dare remove any of the pictures!!!!  :o   ;)

Lesley,

I have a miniature persicum bought from a nursery last year that doesn't reflex at all.  The petals are twisted like they would normally be when reflexed, but they stay pointing downwards.  Gives a totally different look to the plant.  It isn't quite cyclamen-like, but I still found it interesting enough to buy it.  Has recently been repotted and isn't in flower at this point in time, but when it does I'll pot a pic.  I could probably find a pic of it from last year if you're interested in seeing it?  I have seen flower forms a little like yours around, and they don't look too bad as it gives a much more billowy look to the flower, although yet again it isn't really cyclamen-like.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tim Murphy

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »
Great photos so far. Here are a few of my own.

1. C. coum; all of these plants are destined for new homes.
2. C. alpinum.
3. C. coum.
4. C. coum.
5. C. coum; a very special plant growing at a UK nursery. As far as I know this is the first time a pure white flowered form has appeared with this type of leaf pattern.
6. C. elegans (silver leaf form).

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal