We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A Japanese nursery in Febuary  (Read 2618 times)

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
Re: A Japanese nursery in Febuary
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 03:24:27 AM »
Thank you very much for sharing.

Such wonderful plant selection. Love the deep rich color of the last Hepatica (photo 06)  :o.
Julie Lockwood
Greetings from SW Washington The Evergreen State
USDA Zone 8b −9.4 °C (15 °F) -6.7 °C (20 °F)
Heat Zone 4 15-30 days exceeding 30°C(86°F)

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 07:36:15 AM »
How wonderful to see rare alpines being grown so beautifully in other countries, but how frustrating that we can't purchase them more easily.  Many thanks for such an interesting post.

Cliff, our poor English communication skills, strict pyto-certificate and a very limited number of quarantine stations in our countiry are maim problems, I think. Almost alpine plants/bulb nurseries in Japan are small family-running ones, so they don't have enough time to spend export bussiness. Of course they've already known the value of Japanese native plants for oversea customers.

I am interested in buying or replacement of plant seeds with your collection. Eranthis, Hepatica, Adonis, ranunculus, Calianthemum. Please let us know. Do you sell plants?

Kot, I can easily understand your craving for the plants but I don't sell any seeds and plants, so sorry. I'm not a nurseryman and now I only have eranthis you listed above. I give and/or exchange my surplus seeds to my friends ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:45:14 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 07:57:09 AM »
Kot you can take your chance on Rakuten
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/engei2/38533/

some nurseries accept to export bareroots.

Last year i used the service of a forwarder that included your order among other european nurseries wholesale orders,
the goal is to reduce the phyto cites at almost zero.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 08:01:41 AM by Yann »
North of France

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 12:07:38 PM »
The eranthis can be tricky to get going from dormant tubers, but purchasing an established clump in a pot is probably the best bet in giving it a good start!!
Perhaps the tubers get damage in transport by air cargo. The cago is pressurized same as passenger cabin but air conditioning. By the way, your web-shop is excellent, Pontus :D

what are they growing the plants in? - is it topped with local grit or is it kanuma? - It looks like the colour of kanuma, that's why I am asking

Graeme, there are no top dressing. Yes, it's Kanuma, Akadama and Pumice blend.

:o All those beautiful eranthis!! Shall we get a bus load of us together?? ;D

I'm waiting your arrival, Anne ;D
Tatsuo Y

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »
Thank you for showing these pictures of the nursery Tatsuo.  It is a joy to see so many well grown plants.  The Japanese frits are already in flower and looking so compact.  I assume these are F. japonica varieties.

The left side is F. ayakoana and in the middle and right side is F. japonica var. japonica (you've already had it, Cyril?) ;)

Is this where you get so many of the beautiful bulbs you show us?
I hope you are able to show us some pics of their Show next weekend,

Yes, Fermi. Several plants came from the nursery. White eranthis, native frits, epimediums, some petticoat daffs...

Love the deep rich color of the last Hepatica (photo 06)  :o.

I like it best, too, Julie :) It's white anthers make good contrast against deep red petals.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:39:35 PM by YT »
Tatsuo Y

Graeme

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »
Graeme, there are no top dressing. Yes, it's Kanuma, Akadama and Pumice blend.
never thought of putting my hepaticas in kanuma but will try try some of them now - I used to have a lot of satsuki azaleas so I am used to kanuma and the akadama for the maples - you just have to remember to repot reasonably regularly or its like dealing with a lump of concrete 
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
never thought of putting my hepaticas in kanuma but will try try some of them now - I used to have a lot of satsuki azaleas so I am used to kanuma and the akadama for the maples - you just have to remember to repot reasonably regularly or its like dealing with a lump of concrete

If you grow hepaticas well with humes rich soil in pots, you don't need to use the kanuma mix. The kanuma mix is for warmer climate area to privent root rot.
Tatsuo Y

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 02:55:07 PM »
Glad to be allowed to see all these nice plants in your pics Tatsuo  :D
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

angie

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 06:43:48 PM »
Glad to be allowed to see all these nice plants in your pics Tatsuo  :D

Same here.
I just watched a video of a Japanese koi show. I think I would be in my element seeing nurseries like what you have just shown and also visiting some koi breeders. Just need to win the lottery first.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 09:43:45 PM »
The left side is F. ayakoana and in the middle and right side is F. japonica var. japonica (you've already had it, Cyril?) ;)

Tatsuo, F. ayakoana has lovely rounded flowers.  If only it was available here!  But then the price would be out of reach.  Is it really 32400 ¥ Yen (= £177) as shown on the label? :o

There is a single robust growing leaf on your F. japonica var. japonica.  I hope it grows well this season and flower next year.
Cyril
Scotland

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »
Thanks Nicole and Angie ;)

Tatsuo, F. ayakoana has lovely rounded flowers.  If only it was available here!  But then the price would be out of reach.  Is it really 32400 ¥ Yen (= £177) as shown on the label? :o
There is a single robust growing leaf on your F. japonica var. japonica.  I hope it grows well this season and flower next year.

Sounds great your plant is growing well, Cyril. Yes, the albino flowered F. ayakoana is a real tiny living gem 8) I couldn't take that small pot in my hand :-\ if I dropped it...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:21:13 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal