We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 65850 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #720 on: November 26, 2015, 01:52:20 AM »
Camp Creek

Monday, 23 November 2015

Weather: Clear
Temperature, High:64 F (18 C), Low:42 F (5.5 C)

I had a few hours in the afternoon to work on a project. Polystichum imbricans ssp. curtum is reported from this part of Camp Creek and I was hoping to find the site location. This has been a favorite location for me for the last 30 plus years. It is a great place to go swimming on a hot summer day and there are numerous springs in the area with outstanding drinking water. It is also a great place to see interesting plants. I felt like I had a good chance to find this species of Sword Fern.

The canyon in this area is deep, heavily forested, and very cold this time of year. There were still lingering patches of snow from the last storm about 1 week ago. The elevation near the creek bed is 3,917 feet (1,194 meters). It was very chilly as I hiked around the creek and the surrounding slopes.

Steep and heavily forested slopes are common. In some places mountaineering skills are helpful as they were for me this day.

Up stream I found a small patch of Polystichum imbricans ssp curtum on a steep, in places vertical, rock out cropping.

This photograph shows the base of this SSE facing rock out cropping. Despite the southerly aspect the dense tree cover of Douglas Fir, Pseudostuga menziesii, Incense Cedar, Calocedrus decurrens, and California Black Oak, Quercus kelloggii creates an ideal habitat for ferns. The habitat is also quite seasonly moist, indicated by the dense stands of Saxifraga californica I found growing here.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #721 on: November 26, 2015, 02:23:40 AM »

It was a clear day, however this time of year the canyon is very dark even in the middle of the day. My camera just could not handle the low light levels, thus many of my photographs did not turn out, such as this one of Goodyera oblongifolia. I found large colonies of this species on the surrounding slopes. I wish that some of the photographs had turned out.

One of the interesting plants I saw this day was Trientalis latifolia. This is a common species at this elevation level. Most of the plants of this species were going dormant for the season along with plants of Prosartes (Disporum) hookeri, and the Raspberry, Rubus glaucifolius. Near the creek or a spring the giant leaves of Aralia californica had melted on to the mossy rocks and surrounding organic duff.

Chimaphila menziesii was another common evergreen species that I found on the surrounding slopes.

Our California Yew, Taxus brevifolia, enjoys these cool, moist, middle elevation canyons. This is not a common species in our area except in these cool moist habitats.

I find the trunks of this species attractive, something similar to Coast Redwood, Sequoia sempervirens.

After hiking around and exploring a bit, I decided to try to find the specific site of Polystichum imbricans ssp. curtum. I basically hiked directly to the site - at the base of an almost vertical slope and rock face. It may not looks steep but I needed some climbing skill the reach some of the ferns some 30 to 40 feet (9-12 meters) above the base of the cliff.

A photograph of P. imbricans ssp. curtum well up this steep slope and growing out of a crevice in a large rock.

It was now time to descend back to the base of this slope (cliff?) and return to the farm. This was a good outing, however I wish that more of the photographs had turned out.

Until next time!
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #722 on: November 28, 2015, 04:39:40 PM »
Robert,

Although I did see a lot of interesting places on my last "outing" ;-) it is great to be back and follow your steps.
Camp Creek looks very exciting. Just the kind of landscape I like to walk in!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #723 on: November 28, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »
Trond,

I have been exploring this area for a long time. There are certainly some interesting things going on in this area such as the natural hybrids of Lilium pardalinum x parvum. It is a Transition zone habitat that quickly changes to the Upper Sonoran life zone down stream and the Canadian life zone a short distance up stream. Many species that do not normally come into contact with each other do so in this area.

Many years ago when I first started exploring this area I saw very few people. Now the area is a favorite for folks that like to shoot guns. I always see them now. Some places are off limits because of the danger created by the target shooters. Hiking in the canyon seems safe, however even there I find spent gun cartridges at times. Near the bridge and road the habitat has been "trashed" with garbage, human waste, trees and shrubs that have been hacked on and other such things. The folks that do such things must be lazy. A short hike up or down stream and the mess disappears.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #724 on: December 11, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »
IOWA CANYON
SLAB CREEK RESERVOIR

Thursday, 10 December 2015

Weather: Cloudy
Temperature, High: 52 F (11 C), Low: 48 F (9 C)

After getting some errands finished in town, I had a few hours to check on some plants in our area. I wanted to see if I could find Polystichum californicum. This species had been documented (1976) in the area by the well known California botanist G. Ledyard Stebbins. The documented site had been developed, however I was still hoping to find this species in the area.

Two years ago I had explored the area on the south bank of Slab Creek Reservoir. On that outing I had driven down to the reservoir. This time I walked the road down to the reservoir hoping to spot Polystichum californicum and any other interesting plants I might find.

I parked at the gated entrance, 2,538 feet (774 meters), and started walking down the road.

Slab Creek Reservoir is on the South Fork of the American River just above Iowa Canyon and North Canyon. A portion of the land in this area are public lands under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Forest Service. This land would be safe from development, so perhaps I could find Polystichum californicum on these land holdings.

As I walked down into the canyon I saw many of the typical species found on north facings slopes at this elevation, such as the fern, Dryopteris arguta.

The steep slopes were covered with Heuchera micrantha, another common species.

In the last month the Polypodium ferns had broken their summer dormancy and were well into growth. There were plenty of Polypodium calirhiza (pictured), the most common species in this area. Even with common species I always keep an eye out for something different. This day I noticed a patch of Polypodium ferns that where quite different. They turned out to be P. californicum, a species generally associated with the California coast. The photograph did not turn out, however the deltate fronds, the fleshy appearance, and the round, sunken sporangia were all indications that this was P. californicum.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #725 on: December 11, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »

Saxifraga californica is another common summer dormant species. Now that we have had some rain and cooler temperatures, they were in full growth. This species enjoys rocky, seasonally moist, shaded, open north facing slopes.

The walk down the road revealed a fair number of springs. Woodwardia fern is a moisture lover and I saw them frequently whenever I came to a spring or an area with year round running water.

Physocarpus capitatus were still with their autumn leaf color. Very pleasant! I never considered this species for the garden, however this autumn display has caused me to reconsider their merit as an ornamental.

Many of the Toyon, Heteromeles arbutifolia, still had their bright red berries. Soon the bird will dine on the berries that are left over.

Near Slab Creek Reservoir I came to Iowa Canyon Creek.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #726 on: December 11, 2015, 05:33:39 PM »

Near Iowa Canyon Creek I spotted a unusual looking fern, Polystichum californicum.

Polystichum californicum is not a common species and I was very pleased to find a small number of plants. Poison Oak is dormant and can be difficult to notice this time of year. This prevented me from searching out more of this species. Come spring when the Poison Oak has leafed out I can return and see if I can find more P. californicum. The springs on this canyon side present a good opportunity to find other interesting species - another good reason to return during the spring.

From Iowa Canyon Creek, the road turns sharply and traverses a hot, dry west facing slope. Here I found many Coffee Ferns, Pellaea andromedifolia.

Like many of our native Pellaea species, they are quite comfortable growing in full sun. The plants may be semi-dormant during the summer, but the fronds are evergreen. So far, I have found most of our Pellaea species easy-to-grow in the garden. Once established they need little or no irrigation during the summer.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 05:56:24 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #727 on: December 11, 2015, 05:49:33 PM »

The vegetation completely changed on the steep west facing slopes. Lupinus albirons, Keckiella breviflora, Eriogonum nudum, and Phacelia imbricata became dominant species.

Phacelia imbricata is a tough and adaptable species, growing both on hot, dry south facing cliff faces, as well as on somewhat shaded slopes. I continue to search out good forms of this species that might make good ornamentals for our climatic conditions.

Shortly I came to the end of my outing for the day. Near Slab Creek Reservoir, 1,943 feet (592 meters) there was a beautiful view of the waterfall created by North Canyon Creek as it flowed into the South Fork of the American River. Another place to explore!

Now it was getting dark and more rain was threatening. Time to return home and plan the next outing.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #728 on: December 13, 2015, 09:35:26 PM »
Glad you have time to get out and around again, Robert!

I recognize some of the ferns - we have 3 Polystichum species here, 2 Polypodiums (although one is very rare) and some Dryopteris species. Pellaea and Woodwardia are unknown though.

Not much to see here at this time of the year so it is nice to see something green ;)

Robert

« Reply #729 on: December 14, 2015, 03:22:32 AM »
Trond,

We are finally having typical winter weather. On 11 December I was able to get out again to the Middle Fork of the American River and the Rubicon River. There was snow at the top of the ridge. Needless to say, the snow and rain have slowed things down this year, however there is still much to see at the lower elevations. Higher in the Sierra the snow is accumulating!

I will be very busy the next few days. I will report on my outing to the Rubicon River and the Middle Fork later this coming week.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #730 on: December 15, 2015, 12:56:40 AM »

After running some errands in town I decided to check on the snow in the Sierra Nevada. This photograph is from Peavine Ridge approximately 5,000 feet, 1,524 meters. A snow shower is blocking the view of the higher peaks.

4 years ago thru December and into the first few days of January there was abundant precipitation, then the rain and snow quit. So far we are running slightly behind average precipitation to-date. This autumn the storms have been cold with low snow levels. Last night we had rain and snow mixed at the farm. I have not seen a sight like this in about 4 years. If conditions persist there will be 1 meter or more of snow on the ground at this elevation come spring. At this elevation the snow is generally gone by late May.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #731 on: December 15, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »
Robert,

Glad you at last get some amount of snow in the mountains! Those pictures reminds me of the eastern parts of Norway ;)

No snow here at the coast yet although we have had one night of freezing temperatures - down to -4C  :o But the sky was clear and people outside at midnight could watch a beautiful aurora borelis! (I didn't see it  :( )

1 hour drive from here it is about 1/2 m snow.

Robert

« Reply #732 on: December 16, 2015, 03:52:11 AM »
Trond,

I am every pleased to have a return to a weather pattern that seems "normal". It was -5.5 C last night at the farm and it appears that it will be about the same or colder tonight (15 nights of 0 C or less so far at the farm). The wind-chill is considerable with gusty north winds. Starting later this week it appears that we might get a series of storms through the following week. I certainly hope that this all pans out.

I remember one summer when I saw the aurora borealis here in California. I was high in the coastal mountains with a complete view of the range of mountains just to the north. A first it looked like giant car headlights coming over the mountains. Soon there were curtains of color. Sadly, the best part of the show did not last long. Most of the time there were just long lasting flashes of light.  :)

The snowline is about 10 minutes from the farm right now. One cold storm and it will snow here at the farm.  8)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #733 on: December 16, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
Middle Fork of the American River
&
Rubicon River

Friday, 11 December 2015

Weather: Partly Cloudy
Temperature, High: 47 F (8 C)Low: 42 F (5.5 C)

The next day following my last outing, I traveled to the lower reached of the Rubicon River near the confluence with the Middle Fork of the American River. I had explored this area last winter and was keen to return. Unfortunately, this was my first chance to return to this area since last winter. This area has an interesting and varied flora that I would have liked to examine during the spring and summer seasons.

The ridgeline of the Foresthill Divide at 3,199 feet (975 meters) is 2,000 feet (610 meters) above the rivers in this area. The canyon is very steep with only one narrow road leading into the area.

My first stop was in an area of serpentine rock, always an interesting location to look for plants, at 2,909 feet (887 meters). It had stormed the previous night so the weather was still misty.

Quecus durata, one of our dwarf "Scrub Oaks", grew in this area. The terrain was extremely steep, however I did make an effort to work my way down the slope a short distance to check on the plants. There were some nice rock outcroppings that I hope to check on this coming spring. There are most likely interesting plants to find! Right now most of the plants are dormant. Traces of the previous nights snow were everywhere.

The mist did part for a short time with this view of the snow on the ridges above.

There was much territory to explore so I quickly moved on to other sites. Farther down the road there was a rocky point (2,362 feet, 720 meters) that caught my attention.

Here I found grove of Knobcone Pine, Pinus attenuata.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:12:49 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #734 on: December 16, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »

Knobcone Pine is an interesting species as it is completely dependent on fire for reproduction. The cones will not shed their seed until fire opens the cones. Often the cones persist on the trees and the trunk and branches will overgrow the cones burying them with plant tissue.

This small tree had been used by a buck to rub the velvet off its antlers.

I was pleased to see Bush Poppy, Dendromecon rigida. This xeric species has large, bright yellow "Poppies" in the spring. In its best forms it is quite ornamental. They were fairly abundant in this area.

There were still a few rain / snow showers early in the day. I did get to enjoy this rainbow!  :)

With much territory to cover and short days, I quickly moved on to the Middle Fork of the American River, elevation 1,193 feet (364 meters).
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal