We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2015  (Read 44958 times)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Re: Primula 2015
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »
They're all lovely to my eyes, David. Your TLC is obviously paying off.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
" Philip Bankhead from Peninsula Primulas in Northern Ireland  " - I've been checking out the website -    www.penprimulas.com  - some nice things there!

Discovered the link on the SRGC "Links" page  was out of date - fixed that now.  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:02:53 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2015, 06:15:28 PM »
I couldn't recommend Philip Bankhead (Peninsula Primulas) more highly. Top quality plants, always very well packed and a thoroughly nice bloke to boot.

Also in Northern Ireland I can also recommend Susan Tindall at Timpany Nurseries and Garden http://www.timpanynurseries.com/
Susan has a great range of Primulas and masses of other stuff too.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2015, 06:19:21 PM »
Today's  small batch:-

Primula 'Delight' one raised by David Philbey
P. x 'Blairside Yellow', though to be a cross between P. allionii and P. auricula (species)
P. 'Lindum First Kiss'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2015, 06:58:21 PM »
How many Primula cultivars do you have, David? You keep pulling more and more stunning plants out of the hat.
Matt Topsfield

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2015, 07:01:28 PM »
David,

You really have some gems!

Your P. marginata plants are in better condition than mine :(

This one has suffered strong wind and some degrees of frost a few nights ago on my shed roof.

The auricula hybrid has stood the weather better!

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
How many Primula cultivars do you have, David? You keep pulling more and more stunning plants out of the hat.

Roughly 185 pots Matt, that includes offsets being grown-on in 2" seed pots. They take up all my benching on the end opposite the greenhouse (8' x 6') door, thats four feet of benching x 2 (top and bottom shelves) with a further shelf of about four feet stood on top of the standard benching. And they're spreading out-decisions will need to be made soon!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2015, 07:50:07 PM »
David,

You really have some gems!

Your P. marginata plants are in better condition than mine :(

This one has suffered strong wind and some degrees of frost a few nights ago on my shed roof.

Thanks Trond. All my marginatas are under glass and I think they like that in Winter, but Summer..................
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Graeme

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2015, 09:22:53 PM »
Roughly 185 pots
you have some great plants - some I have not seen before but will definitely now track down
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Graeme

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2015, 09:27:45 PM »
finally some flowers this year
Lindum Moonlight
Lindum Crepe Suzette
Snowflake
Anna Griffiths
Jo-Jo

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2015, 08:34:05 AM »
you have some great plants - some I have not seen before but will definitely now track down

Lindum Crepe Suzette looks nice, it's on my list.

I used to grow Crocuses, lovely colours; many were reasonably available and thanks to Brian Mathew I could understand the genus. Now we appear to have new species just about every other day and the price of bulbs way above what I am prepared to pay. Result: Now I only grow Crocuses grown from Exchange seed. Primulas are colourful; widely obtainable and I've never had to pay more than £4 for a plant.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
Roughly 185 pots Matt, that includes offsets being grown-on in 2" seed pots. They take up all my benching on the end opposite the greenhouse (8' x 6') door, thats four feet of benching x 2 (top and bottom shelves) with a further shelf of about four feet stood on top of the standard benching. And they're spreading out-decisions will need to be made soon!

The correct decision must surely be to build a new, dedicated Primula house?! I'm sure Mrs N. won't notice  ;)
Matt Topsfield

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »
Matt - At 185 pots of Primula I doubt Mrs. N. is even noticeable on the premises.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2015, 07:51:38 PM »
Oh she's noticeable all right and yes Matt she most certainly would notice. I think I'd get "You won't let me have a garden swing, you don't get another greenhouse (even if I had room)" .  Possibly added would be "Do we have to have all those seed pots thingies all over what passes for a patio because you haven't sorted it out yet"

I'll just keep stum ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Graeme

« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2015, 08:42:40 PM »
Can I just ask what everyone uses for the Allionii as potting mix - I am using about 50% JI no 1 - about 25% 6mm grit - 10% coarse perlite and 15% johndo mixed chicken grit with limestone and oyster shells in it - plastic pots
not sure if I need to reduce the JI if i move over to clays

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal