We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: List of early-flowering snowdrops  (Read 42415 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: List of early-flowering snowdrops
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »
It struck me that "Potter's Prelude" is the "Barnes" of North America.  It would be interesting to know how they fare in a side-by-side comparison.

My 'Barnes' come up with very little leaf showing. Maybe 1.5 - 2cm
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2014, 06:56:34 AM »
This year my Barnes produced a single flower on 25th October with very little leaf showing.  About a week later a second flower appeared from a daughter bulb.  Then two more flowers from other daughter bulbs a week after that; by that time there was quite a lot of leaf showing.  The effect was very pleasing, a bit like a magician producing a rabbit out of a hat, then another rabbit, then another two.

The sort of side-by-side comparison between 'Barnes' and 'Potter's Prelude' I would be envisaging was a comparison of merits; to see which flowered first, which bulked-up faster, which had the prettier flowers etc.
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2014, 07:10:19 AM »
  I've always suspected these early flowering elwesii are not very hardy for places with real winters, the loss of dormancy that early would be suicidal here.  Judging from your flowering dates and latitude I guess we are just too far north & cold for the very earlies.

I'm following this conversation with interest, and hope that in year to come I will have something to add also to experiences in autumn flowering snowdrops in colder climates. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »
I'm really struck by Carolyn's 'Potter's Prelude' and Hagen's selections - this list is becoming quite exciting, especially when you hardly grow any of them! In our garden this year a few earlier elwesii's normally coming in January are in full flower now so it must be a very early season. It would be very interesting to compare the same plants in contrasting climates.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Mariette

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2014, 09:29:44 PM »
´Barnes´grows in my garden for several years, it multiplies well and is very reliable. Nevertheless, ´Potter´s Prelude´is of far more elegant proportions and - for me - the more desirable plant.May we know how long the outers are, Carolyn?

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »
´Barnes´grows in my garden for several years, it multiplies well and is very reliable. Nevertheless, ´Potter´s Prelude´is of far more elegant proportions and - for me - the more desirable plant.May we know how long the outers are, Carolyn?

The outer segments when fully expanded are 3 cm.  Another photo of a newer clump of 'Potter's Prelude' today, which is finally bright and sunny.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »
It would be good to see a side by side comparison of 'Barnes' and 'Potters Prelude'

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
In 2010 it was mentioned in the Forum about Galanthus 'Barnes'  that   " There does seem to be (at least) two versions in circulation, one of which can be up to a month later than the other."

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »
 Here are two of Carolyn's  'Potter's Prelude'  photos along with 'Barnes' from Tony Willis and Paddy Tobin 

PP

Barnes  by TW

PP

Barnes by TW

Barnes   by PT
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2014, 04:42:04 PM »
'Potter's Prelude' really does have substance about it doesn't it - a fine plant. It reminds me very much of 'Comet' in the marking, which is one of the first snowdrops I bought at the very extravagent price of £8 many years ago at Washfield Nursery!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2014, 07:49:25 PM »
Here is another newly introduced in 2013 (after 25 years of evaluation) US snowdrop that blooms before Christmas.  It is called 'Standing Tall' and was selected by Charles Cresson for its very large flowers, 12” height, very upright habit, and commanding presence in the garden.  I checked with Charles, and it does bloom before Christmas---the photos were taken on December 24, 2012, and it had been blooming for a while.  Charles doesn't have 'Three Ships' though so he can't compare them.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »
This is my version of 'Barnes' (pictured on 31/10/14).  It suffered a brief absence a few years ago so there is a small possibility that this is a seedling growing where Barnes used to be rather than the real Barnes - but I don't think so.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2014, 08:40:47 AM »
Carolyn they are both great, but 'Standing Tall' looks to be really substantial.  Marvellous.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2014, 09:59:04 AM »
I've given 'Standing Tall' the benefit of the doubt and added it to the list.  If somebody in North America has 'Three Ships' maybe they can do a trade with Charles Cresson?

Edit:  I choose 'Three Ships' because it seems to be quite widely distributed.  If it's not available in North America I need a secondary reference there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:25:36 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2014, 11:18:21 AM »
Here is another newly introduced in 2013 (after 25 years of evaluation) US snowdrop that blooms before Christmas.  It is called 'Standing Tall' and was selected by Charles Cresson for its very large flowers, 12” height, very upright habit, and commanding presence in the garden. 

Looking very good

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal