We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 14235 times)

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
Re: September 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2014, 01:23:10 AM »
Hi Lesley,

Typically the subspecies enginiana has limey yellow flowers, not buttery yellow like the type. It usually has more leaves than the usual two.  I looked on the Fritllaria Group's website to confirm my observations but I honestly can't spot the difference between their examples.
Cheers,  Marcus

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2014, 07:15:49 AM »
Hi Marcus and Lesley , went into the garden to see if Frit sib. ssp. eugeniana was in flower , yes it is so I'm able to show it . Marcus you gave it to me 5 years ago - it has not produced seed or has multiplied . and has only 2 leaves .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2014, 09:18:01 AM »
Hi Otto,

Then I have to conclude I know nothing! ;D

Cheers,  Marcus

vanozzi

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »
Begonia "caravan"is quite a spectacular foliage plant and in a forgotten corner is Begonia Listada, Begonia Angularis v compacta and Eucharis x Grandiflora.
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2014, 04:15:40 AM »
Some Aussie flowers in the Rock Garden:
Olearia pimeleoides
Prostanthera calycina - apparently listed as threatened in South Australia
close-up of P. calycina
Phebalium sp. and close-up
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »
Some Aussie flowers in the Rock Garden:
Olearia pimeleoides
Prostanthera calycina - apparently listed as threatened in South Australia
close-up of P. calycina
Phebalium sp. and close-up
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

I like the Aussie wild flowers, especially the Olearis (I always like daisies) and Phebalium. Annual or perennial? Xeric?

Cheers
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »
Fermi I'm interested in Australian plants for rock gardens and I'm planning to do some scouting next time I'm on Kangaroo Island (my Dad lives there).

This little poppy is Glaucium grandiflorum, it's a weed of crops in South Australia and I collected seed while on a field trip for work.

Have a look at this little prunus, Prunus 'Elvins' flowering it's head off at the moment.

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2014, 02:10:37 PM »
Fermi,

I like the Aussie wild flowers, especially the Olearis (I always like daisies) and Phebalium. Annual or perennial? Xeric?

Hi Robert,
these are all low growing shrubs that survive in this area with very little summer water.
These bulbs came from your neck of the woods - Dichelostemma capitatum grown from NARGS 2007 - there seems to be two forms - one has purplish stems and bracts while the other is plain green,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
Hi Robert,
these are all low growing shrubs that survive in this area with very little summer water.
These bulbs came from your neck of the woods - Dichelostemma capitatum grown from NARGS 2007 - there seems to be two forms - one has purplish stems and bracts while the other is plain green,
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

Dichelostemma capitatum grows at the farm here and is quite common in our area. It is one of the primary food sources for the native rodents and thus propagates profusely both by divisions and seed. - Beware it is known to be weedy! However, it should be safe in a container and with dead-headed. Also, where the rodent have not found them, they make large showy patches.

Having said that, I do grow the polyploid form which is much larger in all parts, as expected. Also, odd forms show up from time-to-time. There is a white form (not common). I found one, here on the farm, that could have been a chimara with both pink and bluish-purple in the petals. The next day I went back to dig it up and the deer had eaten the top off! Couldn't find it - I hoped that it would come back to bloom next season. I've never seen it again. Oh well.  :P

There are several Dichelostemma species that grow in our area. Looking at some of your photographs I have to admit that they do not look quite right as D. capitatum. This does not mean anything, except that they don't look right to me. However, here are a few things the keep in mind: 1.) D. capitatum is among the first bulbs to bloom in our area - the other species bloom much later. 2.) D. capitatum has a purplish bract that holds all the flowers - I did not notice this. If it is there, you will notice it! 3.) Plant species can and do grow differently with different climatic conditions.

Forktoothed Ookow, D. congestum has 3 distinctly forked staminodes.

D. multiflorum is noticably constricted between the ovary and the rest of the flower.

Anyway, I've been "long-winded" enough! Thanks for sharing the photographs both of your native plants and one of ours.

I did do some research on Olearis, Phebalium - your feedback is most helpful too!

Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »
Hi Robert,
I appreciate your comments and I'll post more pics of "your" wildflowers as they bloom ;D
Here's another Aussie that I grow in the Rock Garden, Dampiera dasyantha;
Paeonia kesrouanensis has been grown in some Aussie gardens for many years as P. mascula russii but Marcus Harvey has recently confirmed its correct ID. I got this one as a young seedling from Wilma Yee who got hers as a seedling from Otto!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2014, 07:01:44 AM »
Spring is going crazy here at the moment as well, however my garden is an absolute mess due to neglect.  Still some lovely bits and pieces about though, just not particularly photo worthy.  Great to see everyone else is having a good spring too.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2014, 07:17:45 AM »
Drat, I tried to press the like button Paul.  ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2014, 11:17:23 AM »
rotfl, Anthony.  Sorry, should I got back to facebook now then?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »
rotfl, Anthony.  Sorry, should I got back to facebook now then?

Well , we really appreciate hearing  from you here, Paul - and seeing Graham's lovely photo of you in the narcissus thread so we can see that you are in good form!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »
Far from good form, Maggi.  Very, very, VERY far from it.  :-[
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal