We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop events 2015  (Read 42851 times)

ChrisD

Re: Snowdrop events 2015
« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2015, 07:05:39 PM »
What a lovely snowdroppy weekend I had. 

Glad to hear it Jennie, nice to hear you sounding upbeat again. And buying more treasures :) :) :)

Chris
Letchworth Garden City, England

Richard Williams

« Reply #256 on: February 23, 2015, 09:23:38 PM »
Great day at the Patch yesterday despite the terrible weather. Only managed to take a few photos from the relative comfort of the shed. Compare that with last years photo  when the paths were still grass. Met some lovely fellow forum and facebook buddies from all around the country all very chatty and nice, except one.  :(  Also added some great snowdrops to my collection, Jim deserves a medal for braving the weather and digging up snowdrops, a real star.   

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
Thanks for posting them Richard, it's a shame it was such dire weather but very interesting to see The Patch in snowdrop mode for possibly the last time.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #258 on: February 24, 2015, 08:04:21 AM »
... possibly the last time.

Before the event there was a rumour circulating that they would sell-off all their snowdrops.  Nobody that visited has indicated if that was true (and, if so, whether the intention was accomplished).  Is there anything left to see in the way of snowdrops?   
Almost in Scotland.

Richard Williams

« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2015, 08:27:38 AM »
Before the event there was a rumour circulating that they would sell-off all their snowdrops.  Nobody that visited has indicated if that was true (and, if so, whether the intention was accomplished).  Is there anything left to see in the way of snowdrops?   
Alan
No I don't believe that is true Alan. There were a lot of snowdrops left there and there was a list of ones that were to be dug up which Jim Almond administered. There had been a snowdrop lunch there the day before where the participants had been given a number of snowdrops each I was told. I believe the majority of the collection is still intact and it was a shame that it was such dreadful weather. It did not deter us hardy (crazy) snowdrop people and we happily trundled around in the mud following Jim around as he wielded his Bowles fork. It did unfortunately have an affect on the afternoon crowd who normally come for a nice walk around. There was a good crowd there in the morning and a lot of snowdrops did get sold which all went to charity which was great.

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2015, 09:17:15 AM »
The chosen few's snowdrops have still to be lifted and are being posted out to them,so I guess there will be at least another 300 being dug up
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

steve owen

« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2015, 05:58:59 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, only about 25% of the varieties listed as available actually appeared on the sales table. We were instructed to ask Jim or Chris is we wanted non-listed snowdrops, but many had apparently been "reserved" and so weren't available (at least, not to those of us in the Outer Circle). At a conservative estimate I would say there are many thousands of snowdrops growing in the garden, so I shouldn't think there is any danger of it being emptied.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Richard Williams

« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2015, 01:07:31 PM »
To those of us lucky enough to get trimmer, hoverfly, woodpeckers and the like put our name down on a list they were compiling in the morning but there were strict limits on how many they could lift. I consider myself to be so far out of the outer circle there are satellites orbiting me.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2015, 04:48:07 PM »
Hopefully your orbit will be elliptical and you will be closer than you think.  At least you were able to have the opportunity to ask for some.  Far too far for me to travel I'm afraid, over 400 miles round trip so would have had to be an expensive weekend away!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2015, 06:44:39 PM »
A mere 300 mile round trip for me, Brian, but some of the people who went must have made much longer journeys to be there at The Patch.  I wonder who held the record?
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2015, 07:07:24 PM »
Ian the Christie kind and Cyril the Squirrel must have been among the furthest travelled.....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2015, 07:11:44 PM »
And I think they found it colder than Scotland  ;)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2015, 09:16:04 PM »
Were they in their shorts and Bermuda shirts, Chas, thinking they had headed to the banana belt?

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2015, 09:28:55 PM »
Well Cyril was very well wrapped up ,not so Ian he was in his summer gear

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2015, 10:10:26 PM »
Cyril is very sensible chap - Ian is a mad Scot - what more can I say ? I love 'em both!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal