We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: new Hellebore  (Read 47002 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: new Hellebore
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2007, 08:22:21 PM »
Great plants Johan !
Thanks for the support Geebo !
Let me add a humble Helleborus orientalis of my own - not extraordinary, but I like it !

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2007, 08:45:42 PM »
thank you all for the lovely words. Yes Johan this is the wild H.torquatus I meant, I love the white with the dark centre, good to have you on this topic. Here a picture from H.'Sarastro',
selfcrossed give some good plants and the best (pic 2 + 3) I crossed with my best Yellow:

I have this warning again:
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post

but have made a copy from my reply, I try to post
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

henkw

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2007, 09:06:19 PM »
Sorry to repeat my question but I like to get some info on:

Helleborus niger 'Ras Buis'

An elderly friend keeps talking about this Niger, that this the best Niger around?

Please keep posting those nice pictures.

Henk Westerhof
in the Netherlands

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2007, 09:37:49 PM »
Hello Henk,
Maby this will help you to find out more,I remember reading about in some of my references,but can not find exactly were to go for,there are a lot of older bulletins of garden societys here
Just looked at google  under "Helleborus niger Ras buis" a lot of info will be found. Hope you find out  there what you be looking for
Cheers :)
Geebo

Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

henkw

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2007, 09:58:58 PM »
Thanks Geebo,

I shall google a bit ont the Hellebrus.  ;D

Henk
in the Netherlands

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »
Googling to find Ras Buis brings up a list of nurseries selling it, but I can't find any information about the actual plant.  Last year I queried one of our local nurseries selling it (Thimble Farms) but could not get much information.  Maybe someone in Europe is selling seeds to all these nurseries?

Perhaps it is like niger Potters Wheel that everyone thought they had, based on all the seeds of it donated to seed exchanges.  I haven't noticed this so much anymore.  This year's seedlist from the Scottish Rock Garden Society lists only niger, niger double and niger macranthus  - no more Potters Wheel.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2007, 12:23:31 AM »
These flowers are all super but Johan's 'white with dark center' shows the colour marking that both Ian and I find the most attractive in any flower we see it in. It was shown a page or two back, so I'll take the liberty of posting it again here, just because it is so perfect
4710-0
Sorry, I earlier said that this fab flower was one of Chris V.'s babies, when it is, of course, Johan Mens'
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:20:56 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2007, 12:53:09 AM »
I like that colour pattern too.  I am sure it was developed to attract a pollinator.  When I was in South Africa, I found that I was attracted to beetle-pollinated flowers.  Imagine having the artistic sense of a beetle.  I guess that's OK, though.  I like beetles, too.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Johan Mens

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2007, 07:19:41 AM »
Thanks all ! This plant dark centred white was a nice surprise. It is difficult to get this on pure white without getting into picotee.
I am now waiting for the pollen to ripen so I can play a bit with the combinations.
Chris, is that progeny from the Sarastro type division I gave you years ago ? And the yellow one a seedling or the parent? I am waiting for our new green dark centred generation to come into flower next years.
Some more of the centred type.
Johan Mens, Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2007, 10:24:47 AM »
Dear Johan, I am sorry, I attributed your wonderful dark centered white flower to Chris V. I have made a correction. Thanks to Chris Sanham for pointing out my mistake. I had been drooling over Chris V's green and yellows when I made the post and "lost the place", as we say! 
Really, I am overwhelmed by the sumptuous flowers we are seeing on this thread. You chaps are all growing such fine forms that it is a joy to see your efforts here. thank you!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:26:33 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2007, 05:38:57 PM »
Inspired by the pictures of the Belgian hellebores I thought I had better go and look at my own. Found this lovely stripped flower grown from a picottee parent, not quite up to belgium standards but not bad for around here. I particularly like the fact that the reverse is really dark and it is quite a surprise when you turn it over.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Geebo

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2007, 06:11:25 PM »
Hi Chris,I post here some pics I would like to get some of your sound oppinion about the first two,The are growing out of the seed of your Torq Party dress,Was Pluto involved in the first one? the second has a velvety licht cream color and hold its color as it mature,I both like them a lot.
Next one of your pink veined with a dark center,and a bud of an apricot,slaty blue making his apearance.
And a few flowering today,Blue lady from jellito,with two from Ashwood Double white,and the last I dont know how to call (anemone Flow?)
Cheers,
Geebo
Ireland , Co Tipperary

Geebo

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2007, 06:25:21 PM »
Wel done Susan,that sure is on again to bring more addiction to the Hellebore clan,I often would like to keep them all.
And Maggi, the pic you post there from Johan its mouthwatering,keep sending them everyone,I be glued on my Monitor,dreaming for the next one
Cheers all,
Geebo
Ireland , Co Tipperary

Geebo

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
Hello Henk and Diane,
There is one Nursery in the Uk who list Hell Niger "Ras Buis" www.bamboo-co.uk
There is a good reference book I use
The gardeners Guide to Growing Hellebores,
By Graham rice & Elisabeth Strangman.
Sorry could not find "Ras Buis" mentioned.I keep looking  :-\
Ireland , Co Tipperary

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2007, 09:11:47 PM »
Helleophiles you have been extremely busy in my absence. Keep up the good work.

Someone needs to start breeding miniatures so I can grow some but top of my hit list, of which I got a seedling - thanks Brian, is H. thibetanus
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:29:35 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal