We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Shows around the country- 22nd March 2014  (Read 5385 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Shows around the country- 22nd March 2014
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2014, 09:26:32 PM »
I wonder if the Androsaces are just not ready yet and  will appear at  later shows?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

veteran vet

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »
As you will be aware there was 'only' a Best in Show' rather than a Farrer Medal plant as Frank and Barbara Hoyle did it again this week with the same Cyclamen, probably looking better this week than last
Cyclamen pseudibericum (1) as part of their class 1 entry six pan. I was interest to see that further down the classes Ian Kidman also won with a C. pseudibericum which had smaller leaves compared to the Hoyle plant and the flowers therefore appeared to have longer stems, is this because of cultural variation, a different 'clone' or does this happen as the plant gets older. The Hoyles also had a very nice
Primula 'Mrs Dyas' (2)
Primula allionii 'Crusader' from Geoff Rollinson was also, I believe, a contender for the Farrer
There were many Primula 'Broadwell Milkmaid' on the bench, a nice example was from Tony Stanley in 99

veteran vet

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »
I am sure you are right Maggi but talking to exhibitors I get the impression that quite a few have struggled with them this winter but am sure there will be plenty around just the same.
Last three pictures
Primula 'Netta Dennis' from Don Peace in (5)...he had the most points in the Open Section by the way, the plant ws up against
Primula irregularis hybrid from Ian Kidman in the same class...he was not a happy chappy that it was second, grumbled about it all the way home in the car!
Primula vulgaris ssp sibthorpii (6) from John Richards was an attractive plant, should be more often seen
My very last picture is of a very large pan of a seed raised Erythronium in class 22 (red sticker job) but sadly I missed out the name label and the exhibitor (I think was Della Kerr), it has lots more flowers to come by the quantity of bud so I expect we will see it at Hexham (along with many Scottish visitors I hope)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal