We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Abriachan Nursery  (Read 1028 times)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Abriachan Nursery
« on: March 04, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
With the weather warming up and gardening urges needing to be satisfied we took a wee trip to the mainland this weekend. Coming back the car was loaded with a couple of boxes of new acquisitions (including some excellent value alpines - good sized plants that were obviously last years stock at this years prices) and a trip to Abriachan Nursery/Gardens which I'd not visited before.

The garden was just coming to life, with those essential late winter/spring garden tasks going on. Some nice plants were showing, Galanthus of course, but also Hepatica and other woodlanders doing well outside. There's clearly a lot of planting in the garden that will be of interest throughout the season, so a return visit(s) will have to be made.

Galanthus 'S. Arnott'
Eranthis hymenalis - the snowdrop/aconite combo was a bit of a theme of the weekend, with some good naturalised plantings in Inverness gardens
Hepatica nobilis - a blue form, one of which came home with me to be nurtured in my most wind-free corner
Helleborus (un-named) - a lovely hybrid colouring from white to pink
Mischief 1 & 2 - the pups were able to enjoy the day out too!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:53:24 PM by Matt T »
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Abriachan Nursery
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 04:23:26 PM »
It's been too long since we visited Abriachan - run by the charming Davidson famly- long time SRGC members!
I confess I hadn't realised they have a website and do mail order  : http://www.lochnessgarden.com/
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jacek

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:26:06 PM »
Abrichan Nursery and its garden was finally one of only two gardens we visited during holidays I spent with my wife last summer in Scotland. The weather was glorious and we preferred to stay in the North and West instead of visiting eastern castles and gardens. The other one was Inverewe Garden. We liked the view towards Loch Ness and the overall mood of the location - calm escape from the busy road.

Despite the flight by Ryanair with known luggage restrictions we were still able to buy three pots. Nothing special for you, but in our climate... We bought oxalis magellanica (unfortunately not the double form I was hunting for -  not available), fuchsia magellanica and ... a thistle, of course.

Oxalis and thistle are well after winter. Fuchsia - status currently unknown. I have low level needs - I do not need a magnificent shrub. I want only a perennial type of growth and some flowers in the autumn. Will see soon.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »
I confess I hadn't realised they have a website and do mail order  : http://www.lochnessgarden.com/

There were many boxes being packed up with orders whilst we were there Maggi. Some fine plants in the small nursery, which will definitely tempt us back.

Abrichan Nursery and its garden was finally one of only two gardens we visited during holidays I spent with my wife last summer in Scotland. The weather was glorious and we preferred to stay in the North and West instead of visiting eastern castles and gardens. The other one was Inverewe Garden. We liked the view towards Loch Ness and the overall mood of the location - calm escape from the busy road.

Glad you had good weather for your trip Jacek and managed to transport some plants back home. The north east has it's attractions, but the north west corner of mainland Scotland is my absolute favourite part. I spent a lot of time holidaying there before I lived in Scotland. At that time I lived in Southampton on the south coast of England, which made for a very long journey. The scenic landscapes, geology and special wildflowers made the travel worthwhile.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal