We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2014 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 15075 times)

greenspan

Re: March 2014 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
@pascal

thank you for your informations.  8)  hm...it's hard to believe ;D ;). when i checked the photos you've linked i wonder how heavily the flowers distinguish. i can imagine, that plants with a wide distribution might show remarkable differences but comparing the heterotropoides photos with both of mine Asarum one has to assume different species. but as you said, this types with reflexed lobes belong to sieboldii + you'r right "heterotropoides starts to flower before the leaves are completely"...this is what mine do. but i'm just a hobby gardener and no botanist. so i'll talk to mine with the name heterotropoides till the riddle is solved. 8) (sorry my english isn't so good, hope you understand).

@john

i got the Aristolochia steupii as a globose tuber from a very kind russian gardener. unfortunately many Aristolochia are protogynous (female parts (stigma) becomes mature before the male ones (anthers)) + so sterile if you only have one plant. the steupii seems to be quite rare in cultivation. i only know about another specimen in a german botanical garden. once i got some seed, but i guess it was an old seed...nothing germinated.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:47:36 AM by greenspan »
South Germany/Northern Bavaria/Z6b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal