We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Strange flower with no leaves.  (Read 647 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Strange flower with no leaves.
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:59:26 AM »
This has appeared in a gravel border. No leaves at present, but the only leaves I remember at one point were Oxalis sp.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Biobella

Re: Strange flower with no leaves.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »

Looks like Oxalis magnifica... normally it is dormant. Probably it's just peeping to see whether the winter is over...

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »
Well it's definitely not winter here Biobella, even if summer doesn't really seem to have arrived either, at least not in the lower South Island. Anthony's place is a bit warmer than mine of course.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 06:59:19 AM »
Well it's definitely not winter here Biobella, even if summer doesn't really seem to have arrived either, at least not in the lower South Island. Anthony's place is a bit warmer than mine of course.
True Lesley. Made the mistake of using a watering can on the front border by the drive and ended up hopping as the concrete was burning the soles of my bare feet.

fixpix

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:56:31 AM »
That's a cool flower. And sooo lonely :)
But... what season is it there? As we're getting close to spring you should be entering autumn???
Or is my logic on vacation?
Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:00:55 AM »
Autumn is a long way off. I suppose you would say 10th Feb = 10th August. Feb and March can be hot with cicadas and crickets calling day and night. July = January in the northern hemisphere. We can sometimes have lunch alfresco in July and it's a rare day when there is ground frost on the park in the morning. I grow frangipanis and proteas in my front border and cymbidiums are garden plants.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
Yes, it is still summer here in NZ and Australia and while we're not having - and don't have - the dreadfully high temps of Australia, we're still quite warm for a couple of months yet. Autumn usually starts around April but the weather stays nice (we hope) until the end of May and winter doesn't REALLY start until late June/July with spring again, in August.  ;D ;D ;D ??? Eat your hearts out. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal