We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A different Valentine's Gift!  (Read 15710 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: A different Valentine's Gift!
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »
Steve, I didn't think I was tut-tutting. I thought I was raising some interesting points worthy of discussion. But since I've been told that this whole business has nothing to do with snowdrops generally and that I've been tut-tutting, I think I'll leave now, before I offend or upset anyone else. I really didn't intend to cause anyone offence but it seems I have.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 08:10:08 PM »
Hello again, well thanks to everyone for their views I now bow out of this debate with this thought my wish was especially plant related not just about the money , cheers Ian
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »
Steve, I didn't think I was tut-tutting. I thought I was raising some interesting points worthy of discussion. But since I've been told that this whole business has nothing to do with snowdrops generally and that I've been tut-tutting, I think I'll leave now, before I offend or upset anyone else. I really didn't intend to cause anyone offence but it seems I have.

Hi Martin,  I haven't seen you this year yet, so Happy New Year  :o

We've just had a hurricane style NGS garden open.  14 people weathered the storm and it was lovely to see them all.  Wow, what a year :)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »
Hello again, well thanks to everyone for their views I now bow out of this debate with this thought my wish was especially plant related not just about the money , cheers Ian

Ian, I hope I didn't give you the impression that I thought you were concerned just about money re E. Harrison. Quite the opposite.

I'm now bowing out too. I find it upsetting when these kinds of discussions about snowdrops get so acrimonious and I feel like I'm losing friends over it. 

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »
But this was almost certainly a gift intended for a loved one, not an informed decision made by the ultimate owner. 

Just imagine that as you sat down to dinner tonight your other half presented you with that snowdrop and revealed that it was they who bought it and have named it after you as a gesture of love.  Ask yourself honestly if you would be pleased or appalled.
Almost in Scotland.

Jo

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 08:36:31 PM »
Umm,  It's been very wet in Devon today   ::)  boys  :-\

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »
Hi Martin,  I haven't seen you this year yet, so Happy New Year  :o

We've just had a hurricane style NGS garden open.  14 people weathered the storm and it was lovely to see them all.  Wow, what a year :)

Hi Jo

Haven't seen you for ages. Happy New Year to you too. I'll be at the Shaftesbury thing tomorrow. If you're going I'll see you there. If not, I'll have to try to make it to one of your open days one of these years.

Jo

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 08:38:44 PM »
See you tomorrow Martin,  it'll be fun to see everyone there   :-* :-* :-*

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »
P.S. I'm not blaming anyone else for the way these snowdrop discussions get out of hand when I wade in. I think it must be me. I need to be less outspoken and argumentative on what is meant to be a plant forum. My apologies to all. :)

Jo

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »
 :D :D

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »
We'll see if snowdrops are indeed a girl's best friend by midnight.  Keep an eye on the homicide section of your local paper.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:39:01 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

steve owen

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 08:54:27 PM »
Martin, wasn't aimed at you. And no offence caused I think. Keep contributing. Better a Baxendales Late than a Baxendales Never.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »
Lol, Steve.  I really did laugh out loud at that comment (although I guess it's a Galanthophile's in-joke).
Almost in Scotland.

MR GRUMPY

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »
Lol, Steve.  I really did laugh out loud at that comment (although I guess it's a Galanthophile's in-joke).
  8)
Steve Thompson
Snowdrops are not just for Christmas.......

vivienr

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 09:54:57 PM »

3. I sympathise with the point raised that highlighting the value of rare snowdrops increases the risk of theft. But what are we to do? Hide our collections behind barbed wire fences and exclude all but the cognoscenti? I have lots of fabulously rare plants growing at my nursery. Like anyone with valuable assets to protect, I have taken many different measures to deter thieves and to catch and convict those who won't be deterred. I'd rather risk losing valuable plants to thieves than hoard them like a miser behind closed doors.

Tom

One knock-on effect of all this is on large gardens which are open regularly with snowdrop collections and which cannot provide the security that a nursery can.
Tonight I have just been looking for opening details of three 'stately home' gardens near here which have opened with special snowdrop events that I have been to in the past. One is not opening now until the end of March and the other two have removed all mention of their snowdrop collections from their websites. Such a shame.
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal