We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2014  (Read 57807 times)

ichristie

• Former President
Re: Primula 2014
« Reply #285 on: June 04, 2014, 04:47:51 PM »
Hello at long last I have managed to flower Primula wollostonii grown from seed collected by Jens Nielson, has taken 3 years to flower it is in a bowl 2 flower spikes and the plants are stoloniferouse hope to get some seed, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #286 on: June 05, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »
 Such a graceful flower Ian, wonderful.  I grew it once (from J Richards) but after it flowered it was gone.... No seed...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #287 on: June 08, 2014, 05:16:04 AM »
Disapointingly,only 1 flower this year
P.'Jupp'

But what a stunning colour Philip, in a double auricula.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #288 on: June 08, 2014, 05:19:47 AM »
Hello at long last I have managed to flower Primula wollostonii grown from seed collected by Jens Nielson, has taken 3 years to flower it is in a bowl 2 flower spikes and the plants are stoloniferouse hope to get some seed, cheers Ian the Christie kind.

From my very limited experience, seed only comes from cross pollination. I think this is true too, at Hokonui Alpines, where Louise grows it well and prolifically now, but with careful attention to pollination each season.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Darren

« Reply #289 on: June 08, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
My eagle-eyed better half spotted this (still in bud) among a batch of seed raised Primula flaccida on a nursery stall at a show last weekend. I agreed it looked like it might be white flowered so we snapped it up. Turns out Susan was right, and what a beauty it is. The second picture is after yesterdays rain and you can see some blue now where the farina has washed off. I've never seen a white flaccida .

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #290 on: June 09, 2014, 09:06:45 AM »
Very unusual, Darren - and very beautiful. One of the best primulas - and that's saying something from such a fabulous family!
 Seeing your photo I have a vague recollection ( most of my recollections are on the vague side, as you know!) of a student asking about a white form  - but was it of P, flaccida?  ??? :-\

I'll see what I can find.....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Darren

« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
Thanks Maggi.  :) I just hope I can keep it going and hopefully increase it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #292 on: June 09, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »
I've been happily imagining the scent of the P. flaccida  as I've spent the last 40 minutes searching for the question I mentioned earlier - no luck  so far in finding that but the very thought of the fragrance has cheered me!

Darren

« Reply #293 on: June 09, 2014, 12:10:45 PM »
Glad to hear it  :)

It's such a nice scent. The white (to my nose) seems to have a lighter and fresher scent than the normal form.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #294 on: June 10, 2014, 09:03:32 AM »
The white is very lovely indeed, especially as it has heavy farina on the calyces as well. It will be a triumph Darren if it comes true or even partly true, from seed. PLEASE, hand pollinate it. I'm looking forward to a group of 9 young plants I put in a damp and leafy place recently. Looking a bit washed out for the winter but sturdy centre buds so I hope all will survive and flower.

Darren

« Reply #295 on: June 10, 2014, 11:38:41 AM »
Have tried hand-pollinating it Lesley - will see if it selfs. I also tried a cross with a normal form but sadly all my plants are thrum (including the white) so I'm not expecting much in the way of viable seed.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #296 on: June 10, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »
Susan  at Pitcairn Alpines has primula plug plants for sale - http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11615.msg307024#msg307024 - other plants too, Omphalogramma and meconopsis......  :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:35:33 PM by Maggi Young »

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #297 on: June 11, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »
Beautiful white form of Primula flaccida Darren.  Let's hope it is self fertile and the seeds come true.

Primula rufa flowering for the first time in cultivation from seeds collected autumn 2012.  P. rufa is closely related to the more familiar Primula forrestii.

The plant has lots of farina on the corolla and calyx, which is believed to be the consistent characteristics that define rufa (which will be P. bullata var. rufa). Leaf shape is variable, from cordate or truncate (like forrestii) to cuneate or even attenuate (like bullata) which is consistent with plants from the northern end of the P. rufa range (N and W Yunnan), which is where this collection was made.

Plant is 36 cm tall with large flowers (3 cm across) closely packed together. We will have to see whether this is a feature of rufa generally when other plants flower.

Cyril
Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #298 on: June 11, 2014, 10:56:51 PM »
Have tried hand-pollinating it Lesley - will see if it selfs. I also tried a cross with a normal form but sadly all my plants are thrum (including the white) so I'm not expecting much in the way of viable seed.

Have you tried a cross with either reidii or wollastonii? We're trying both here with a little success. Using just the purple form of flaccida of course, but the white reidii.

Darren

« Reply #299 on: June 12, 2014, 07:05:42 AM »
Good idea Lesley - and all my remaining reidii are pin forms. They have probably finished for this year though - I find reidii flowers a good few weeks before flaccida here.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal