We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January 2008  (Read 66481 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Crocus January 2008
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2008, 02:54:46 PM »
How many of us have bought it and how many will own up?

I've emailed him about the mix up and here is his honest answer
"Many thanks for your feedback on C.cviijcii.  I agree with your assessment that they are a selection of C.angustifolius.  We had some doubts due to the price but our supplier, a well known horticulturalist, assured us they were correct. I am sure you agree that at 5 for £2.00 they were still an excellent buy.  If they had been cviijcii they would have been the bargain of the decade!!."

See Tony G's reply 9 of 11 September on

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=803.msg18048#msg18048

Well done Tony full marks to you.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #301 on: February 03, 2008, 12:24:25 AM »
I bought C. cvijicci from the same nursery in Holland than Thomas with the same wrong plants. !!!!
do

Pontoux France

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #302 on: February 03, 2008, 12:35:24 AM »
And if none of you guys complain, then they're going to just keep on doing it.  If you all ask for your money back or credit for next year then they will make SURE of something before they sell it.  Saying it is still a "great buy" is a complete cop out.  While there have been posting expressing disappointment, you are all seeming to be rather accepting?  Do you really not mind being sold something common under a rare name?  I'm kind of surprised?  ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #303 on: February 03, 2008, 12:57:26 AM »
Yes when I have bought it at that price, I supposed it was odd price for a so rare species. I am not surprised if it is wrong and generally, this nursery accept to send the true species next year
do

Pontoux France

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #304 on: February 03, 2008, 01:24:07 AM »
I guess many people have been misled, so perhaps we should all complain, afterall, if it's night right it should be put right or out money refunded? I quite like the angustifolius but I wouldn't have bought it if that's what it was advertised as. All the other bulbs I bought are fine, and I did get a bonus set as one lot was not regarded as "growable", so I suppose I have broken even. Meanwhile, I don't have thon crocus I cannae spell let alone pronounce. ???
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #305 on: February 03, 2008, 08:25:31 AM »
I think if everyone here who got the dodgy crocus (and everyone else reading this who doesn't post but also got the same crocus) complains then there are at least going to be enough complaints for them to think twice before selling something they too think is suspicious.  It costs THEM money when they have to send out replacements, and if enough people complain about the wrong thing then they'll make a little more certain before sending out something that might not be true in the future.  One or two complaining isn't that interesting, but if a dozen or two dozen end up complaining because of this discussion then there is at least enough clamour for them to hear, even if they don't really listen to it fully!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #306 on: February 03, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »
Had they been marketed as 'could be but, not sure' that would have given purchasers a reasonable choice.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #307 on: February 03, 2008, 06:34:26 PM »
I too received C. angustifolius instead of C.cvijicii & got the same response concerning the "well known horticulturalist." I think the practice of buying wholesale & immediately reselling is common. Another well known firm offers C.cvijicii quite cheaply in their new list. I've ordered, though I'm not optimistic. However, I know from previous experience that they refund when the wrong plant is sent out.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #308 on: February 03, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »
Hello, Gerry, great to have you join us, 8)  though sorry to hear you have been on the wrong end of this  Crocus confusion. :'(

I am beginning to feel really sorry for poor old Crocus angustifolius... it'll be getting a nasty inferiority complex at this rate :-X ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal