We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons 2014  (Read 34067 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Rhododendrons 2014
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2014, 11:27:09 PM »
Rhododendron lutescens x scabrifolium v. spiciferum F1.

I'm running two lines on this cross, the other plant is pink. The plants are coming along nice - maybe flower buds this fall. Other than that the usual recombination mess. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and something good will show up.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2014, 10:37:26 AM »
We went to Benmore yesterday for a member's talk on the National Trees Collections of Scotland.  I was somewhat surprised at the number of "champion" trees we have here especially in relation to the size of the country. Again, when you think of Douglas, Menzies et al,  I shouldn't be.

It was also a chance to see the first flowering of the Rhododendrons.  The weather was very misty with curtains of cloud down to the 100 metre mark giving the hillside a Himalayan appearance.  From a look round, the main flowering should be in about early April....late frosts excepted.

Some general impressions of what is in flower.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »
continued
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2014, 10:47:35 AM »
Last 5
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »
A treat to see so much in flower from Benmore, Tom. Thanks.

I know that size isn't everything - but the flowers on R. grande are more than a little fabulous, aren't they?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2014, 11:58:02 AM »
Funnily enough I was just looking this morning at trying to plan a visit to Benmore. Unfortunately I'll probably miss the Rhodo display as I'll not get there until the summer, but sure there'll be lots more to see then.

I agree with Maggi re the R.grande. It's my favourite, not for size but sheer beauty, those gorgeous leaves, sculptural buds and delicate colour. If only I could grow it here :(
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »
Lovely display Tom, thanks for posting.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2014, 12:58:10 PM »
Early June can still have some Rh. in flower, especially the cinnabarinums.  The Grande series have stunning flower trusses and leaves,  The really good specimen plants will be out in about 3 weeks.
The pictures as posted do not do the plants justice and are only record shots being constrained to the 640 x 480 format when reduced from 3600 x 2700.
This results is that the plants look "bitty" with the  flowers reduced to coloured blobs.

Anyway, Rh. cilpinense has survived minor frosts and flowered properly for the first time in 4 years.  Three hearty huzzahs !
Pictures attached.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »
Thanks for all the photos Tom. The close-up of cilpinense is very nice.

The R. pocophorum aff. was grown from seed, started in 1986. I think what is remarkable about this rhododendron is that it does so well in our climate. Most Rhododendrons from subsection Neriflora die or survive and suffer with the summer heat. This plant does extremely well, even at our home in the hot, hot, Sacramento Valley. It's foliage looks good all season too.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »
Tom  - Thanks so much for your dedication over the years, always a great report from Benmore and the west.  That grande is stunning as are the others. Always fun taking rhodo pix considering their affinity for steep slippery terrain.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2014, 05:39:19 PM »
A few from me

The first two  my own macabeanum in flower. The next shot shows the magnificent plant at Trewithen just coming in to flower last week. The colour and the amount of flower make the Trewithen form probably the best. Alas mine is only a seedling but I think from this plant

Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »
Nice Macabeanum!
Mine was reduced to the ground by the severe winter three years ago but has produced some (weak) new growth from the base. My garden is a little too windy for it to grow well.

Rhododendron lutescens

Rhododendron rex ssp. fictolacteum
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »
Nice Macabeanum!
Mine was reduced to the ground by the severe winter three years ago but has produced some (weak) new growth from the base. My garden is a little too windy for it to grow well.

[

Hi Steve mine was devastated also and lost all its leaves and was pruned back selectively but has managed to come back to this

Here is recurvoides spinuliferum also from Trewithen. I have a plant but it is not happy here

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:15:42 AM by ian mcenery »

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:03 AM »
Ian I think you meant to say spinuliferum not recurvoides.  Your mac has a sensational blotch and that Trewithen form a faultlessly formed truss, what a superb species.  Maybe there's even hope for one here  with the RSF's form.   Steve might be interested as well, the RSF sells a high alpine form of macabeanum that is said to be much hardier than macabeanum itself.   Can't vouch for the shade of yellow.  Methinks -5F is overly optimistic, we'll see when the reports come in after this brutal winter which has no signs of loosening its grip.

The best I've seen is 'Earl of Stairs' or 'Lord Stairs' or is it Stair?

johnw
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:07:25 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2014, 12:14:29 AM »
Ian I think you meant to say spinuliferum not recurvoides.  Your mac has a sensational blotch and that Trewithen form a faultlessly formed truss, what a superb species.  Maybe there's even hope for one here  with the RSF's form. 
johnw

Thank you John something is playing tricks with what is left of my brain. Macabeanum doesn't appreciate too much cold some specimens were killed in the winter here 2 years ago when the temperature fluctuated between -10 /-20C for a month. A large specimen at Lea Gardens in Derbyshire about 20 ft high and across is sadly no more

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal