We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in November 2013  (Read 8207 times)

snowdropcollector

Re: Galanthus in November 2013
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »
Great snowdrop Carolyn ! Worthy to grow in any collection with this green mark on the outer petals, for a early snowdrop.
Can not remember ever have seen a early snowdrop with such great green markings.

Leena, I have the same experience as Brian. Some bulbs are just 'sitting' in the ground for a year and start developing
the second year I have them. New planted bulbs also can grow very different the first year from then they normally do.
They can grow/flower from 1 to 6 weeks earlier then normal. Maybe this a stress factor ?
From experience I have I know that snowdrops flowering now start making roots in the beginning of August.

Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
G. 'Barnes' up and waiting for a sunny day to open
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »
G. plicatus 'Mary Hely-Hutchinson' just open

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
I see that you have acquired 'Mary Hely-Hutchinson' since you posted a comment on it in 2009, Paddy.  Is it the earliest flowering example of G. plicatus that is known?   
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »
G. plicatus 'Mary Hely-Hutchinson' just open
I see that in the AGS bulletin of 2007 ( 75- 454) this 'drop is noted as  "flowering in October" - that IS early!
I don't think it has been reported as being n flower before the first week of November in this forum.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »
I think Paddy's relatively mild climate often results in his snowdrops flowering ahead of the majority but at least some of the autumn-flowering snowdrops supposedly don't come into flower until it gets sufficiently cool so might flower later for him.  Any thoughts Paddy?
Almost in Scotland.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
I knew G. 'Mary Hely-Hutchinson' would catch your attention. As you know, it is of Irish origin, hence my interest but, as has so often proved to be the case, it came to me from the U.K. from a very generous lady who doesn't even know me but who heard of my interest and sent some bulbs. Now, isn't that so wonderful. I have a snowdrop which I will treasure for its Irish background and which will always remind me of the generosity of another gardener (and a very kind intermediary).

Because it is its first time flowering here with me I think it is impossible to make definite comments on its time of flowering. I was certainly delighted to see it in flower earlier this week and it promises to give early season interest in future years. The only other one in flower in the garden at the moment is G. 'Barnes'. Several are peeping above ground but not yet showing white.

Maggi, in the Snowdrop book it is mentioned that it came to attention as an October-flowering snowdrop in Ireland but then states that it had never flowered earlier than November in the U.K. which bears out your comments.

Re Alan's comment re a period of cold to initiate growth and flowering: we haven't had any significant cold weather  to date, just a few cold evenings, a little ice on birdbaths and a few frosty mornings but nothing especially cold. I am impressed by your recollection of my mention of this in 2009, Alan, especially so as I don't recall it myself - old age is really telling on me.

On the topic of early-flowering snowdrops, I have had delightful success with G. reginae Olgae 'Sofia' and 'Tilebarn Jamie' this year. I had failed for many years with these in the garden while, at the same time, I held a deep reluctance to grow in pots in the glasshouse. I just don't have the regularity of habit to manage most pot-grown plants but a friend in Greece recommended a very simple approach and it has worked wonderfully with me. The bulbs are presently in growth and I keep them watered and fed. When the foliage dies down I put the pots in the sunniest and hottest position in the glasshouse and leave absolutely dry until mid-September when I give them their first watering and they flower in mid-October. I was delighted with the simplicity of the regime and the wonderful flowering of the bulbs and will continue with further bulbs in future years. It appears it is possible to teach some old dogs new tricks.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2013, 08:04:08 PM »
What a delightful tale of kindness that has brought G. 'Mary Hely-Hutchinson'  to your garden, Paddy - as you say- it is such happenings that make plants all the more interesting and precious to us.

A gift is always so special .

You seem to have had the same difficulties as ourselves in finding a regime that will accommodate the reginae-olgaes. We have never has them happy in the garden and those we have now in pots are receiving pretty much the method you describe - though "hottest and sunniest" in terms even of a glasshouse in Aberdeen is relative! ::)

Ian does remember that when we were given these we were told- "these will certainly  grow and flower for you" - and so it has proved. The scent when there is enough sunshine to open them up to release their fragrance is so nice - an added bonus .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:47 PM »
I can grow G. reginae-olgae outside here in dry Cambridgeshire.  They seem to enjoy a sunny position and we get very little summer rainfall here so I would have thought in many respects they are the most rock-garden-adapted of all the snowdrops.    How about burying a rock on the south side of a tree or deciduous shrub and planting the reginae-olgae just to the south side of the rock in a mixture of grit and leaf mould?  Make sure the planting hole is itself well-drained so it does not fill with water after heavy rain.  The tree/shrub is to create a dryer micro-climate and the rock is to create a hotter micro-climate.  Ideally find somewhere that is too dry for much to grow in summer as this will also discourage the slugs and snails which will eat the flower buds if they find them.

Paddy, thanks for your information.  I don't have a good memory at all but when I did a search for 'Mary Hely-Hutchinson' to try and find out more, I found this http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4674.msg127440#msg127440     
Almost in Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »
Warm enough today for the flowers to open on Galanthus corcyrensis
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »
G. elwesii 'Peter Gatehouse' just getting into its stride.
Almost in Scotland.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2013, 08:11:04 PM »
Isn't it odd that these haven't peeped above ground here. Nice clump, Alan.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2013, 10:44:51 PM »
In all the years I've had Peter Gatehouse it's never been more than the original two bulbs. They are at the same stage as yours, Alan
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
Something wrong there, Mark.  Mine face south but live under a climbing hydrangea so they are in a location that is shaded in summer.  I'm tempted to suggest that you move yours to a warmer spot.  I remember visiting the garden of Rod Leeds, who is a fantastic gardener, yet noticing his 'Peter Gatehouse' looked pretty miserable by my standards, lacking the attractive foliage it should achieve later in the season.  I thought maybe Rod had it in too cold a spot.

Paddy, perhaps your 'Peter Gatehouse' supports my mild-weather-makes-autumn-snowdrops-later conjecture?     
Almost in Scotland.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2013, 12:05:58 AM »
Paddy, perhaps your 'Peter Gatehouse' supports my mild-weather-makes-autumn-snowdrops-later conjecture?

I'm not sure about that Alan.  'Peter Gatehouse' is flowering here too (about 120 km WSW of Paddy's garden and probably fairly similar in terms of climate) and usually starts in late October. 
However the few elwesii types I have seem happiest in warmer, well-drained sites in the garden.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal