We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Forfar Botanists Garden  (Read 17949 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Forfar Botanists Garden
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »
The FBG looks really good now doesn't it, wish we had something like it down here?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2014, 04:43:41 PM »
Hello, I visited the Forfar garden last Thursday and removed 12 bags of blown leaves will post a few pictures from Oct and November, sorry to say will have little time before we go to Australia and New Zealand to post many pictures fro the new Rock garden project at Belleisle park in Ayr will try later, cheers Ian the Christie kind
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:51:25 PM by ichristie »
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2014, 04:48:18 PM »
A few more, Ian
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »
http://nickcourtens.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/ian-christies-nursery-exploring-glen.html   Photos and comments on the FBG from Nick Courtens, an American visiting the UK  -he is a recipient of an SRGC /Diana Aitchison Grant
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »
I continue to visit the garden once a week to weed and make sure all plants are o/k had some time today am posting a few pictures we are very happy how it has overwintered,  cheers Ian the Christie kind

Anemone trullifolia and Corydalis
    Meconopsis paniculata
    Aquilegia grahamii
    Corydalis 'Balang Mist'
    Dryas octopetala
    Meconopsis  paniculata
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:28:52 PM by Maggi Young »
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »
Next few, Ian

Meconopsis quintuplinervia  head
    Meconopsis  'Strathspey' heads blue
    Salix lanata
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:30:05 PM by Maggi Young »
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2015, 11:58:01 AM »
Past president Liz brought a small select group to the Garden on Sunday they then went on the Brechin Castle garden which had great reports, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Friends of the Forfar Botanists in the news
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »
Well done Friends of the Forfar Botanists  (http://www.forfarbotanists.org/   ) who are joint recipients of a prestigious award ! These include our own Ian, the Christie kind, and  Aileen Elliottt, Mother of Alan Elliott, who is familiar to all reading these pages!

From the Kirriemuir Herald - where there is a photo....
http://www.kirriemuirherald.co.uk/news/local-headlines/joint-recipients-of-prestigious-award-1-3796938

The Friends of The Forfar Botanists and Forfar In Flower are joint winners of the prestigious Andrew Smyth Memorial Award

Both groups were praised for the work they had done to improve areas of the town - the former creating a stunning garden on a piece of derelict land at the Myre which pays tribute to the pioneering work of George Don, George Don junior, David Don, Thomas Drummond and James Drummond - and the latter for providing the town with magnificent hanging baskets, tubs and landscaped areas in various locations.

The inscribed rose-bowls were presented by Neil Smyth, great nephew of former Provost Andrew Smyth, during a reception in the Canmore Room on Monday evening.

Accepting the award on behalf of the Friends of the Forfar Botanists, Eleanor Gledhill said: “The reason we are here tonight is that, two-and-a-half years ago, I was approached by Angus Councillor Glennis Middleton when I was president of the Forfar Garden Club.

“I was invited to a meeting where I met others who shared a love of plants and it was decided we should do something to honour the Forfar botanists.”

The piece of land at the Myre was identified, a toilet and telegraph pole were removed and work began to create the magnificent garden which pays tribute to the pioneering work of the botanists who all achieved lasting fame for their contributions to botany.

Their dedication took them to the far corners of the world and the heady heights of academia.

Eleanor continued: “We were very honoured to have Ian Christie, who is so knowledgeable, in charge of the planting, and to Glennis and Lynne Devine for getting us all together. At the time we did not know each other but this has brought friendship between the whole community.”

Accepting the award for the Forfar in Flower Group councillor Lynne Devine said: “We started up when Angus Council cut back on its hanging baskets. With the help of Eleanor and about 25 people, now normally eight or 10, we have provided the town with hanging baskets, planters and gardens all over the place, to make the town much nicer.”

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2015, 08:22:05 AM »
Hello thank you Maggi sorry this has taken so long but I have ben trying to get the Rosebowl for some time it is now here will post two pictures. One thing Andrew Smyth was a local politician in Angus 1960s he was always very much his own man stood no nonsense from anyone he was one of the longest standing members of the council he wore a long black coat and black hat spoke to everyone and doffed his hat to the ladies he was known around as Andra and I remember him well,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2015, 08:28:01 AM »
Hello again forgot to post the pictures taken yesterday when I had the Rosebowl 3 really tall Meconopsis all were supposed to be yellow Meconopsis paniculata as David Don wrote this plant up for the first time as Papavar paniculata what the have decided to call what I post now is your guess, cheers Ian the Christie kind ( will save all the seed for SRGC)
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »
Some photos of the Forfar Botanists garden this week.... from Ian Christie and Lisa Christie Gunn.
(Lisa is Ian and Ann's elder daughter, visiting from Australia where she has lived for some years.  )

548700-0

548702-1

548706-2

548704-3

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2016, 12:54:52 PM »
a few more ....

548708-0

548710-1

548712-2

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2016, 08:45:50 PM »
The Garden is looking great now that the plants have filled out.  I must get up to Forfar again next year to see it.  Many many thanks for all your hard work, Ian, and to all the people in the Forfar Botanists Group for a superb addition to a great town.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2016, 01:47:33 PM »
Latest photos from Ian Christie of the Forfar Botanists' Garden
551530-0

551532-1

551534-2

551536-3

551538-4

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »
It really looks good.

Am I mistaken, I hope I am, that Ian has posted these elsewhere (like Facetwit)?  If so he can buy me aMalt at the DWE whilst he tells me how trendy and uptodate he is ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:29:37 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal