We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2013 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 9653 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: September 2013 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 04:00:23 AM »
Thanks Maggi. No actual reason was given but I've had an email from the man who said "not" and I quote him (I think he's REALLY wrong now) "Definitely not 'Rip van Winkle' a hybrid bred in the early part of the 20th century, which has a totally different structure of tessalated petals.. He says it appears to fit the description of Nar. capax plenus, "Queen Anne's Double Daffodil" (syn. N. eyestettensis) and first recorded around 1601."

You are quite right - why would I doubt that! and if I'd used my brain and gone first to the Wells miniature daff book, I could have answered both pics. Queen Anne's is quite right and is also known now as 'Pencrebar' and I think that's why I couldn't think of its name because I didn't realize it and QA's were the same thing. Now I know. The Wells picture of 'Rip van Winkle is pretty horrid, but I'm sure is, as you say, close enough to be RvW. I'll email back to my friend and put him right. (He won't like that!) ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 08:22:22 AM »
The second Onco for us - Pat Toolan raised this one - Iris kirkwoodiae x iris atropurpurea;
Iris lutescens (I think);
Narcissus 'Splatter' - just to cheer up Lesley and take her mind off RvW! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »
Lesley, your double daffs are, I think, RVW the first one and Pencrebar the second. Pencrebar is NOT the same as Queen Anne's Double (Eystettensis) which is a much older variety, pale lemon shading to a green centre in colour and with very glaucous leaves.
See: http://daffseek.org/query/query-detail.php?photo2=09dc61ea5b05497b659e9820221919e8&pagenum1=1&
and: http://daffseek.org/query/query-detail.php?value1=Eystettensis&lastpage=1&
Sorry didn't see the post earlier.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 12:56:37 PM »
Can someone ID the two double Narcissus for me please? I had the former as 'Rip van Winkle' but was told at the weekend that it isn't. I should know the other but the mind isn't working.

First one is a bit ragged but near enough  to Rip van Winkle in my eyes .... what reason was given for it not to be so?

I think Second one is Narcissus  Eystettensis  syn. Queen Anne's Double

Hmmm, I did think the second one was QA double but  - but Anne W disagrees and she's probably right  in saying it is Pencrebar - though I find it is very hard to  distinguish them  :-X   :-[
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:58:24 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 05:09:14 AM »
The problem is that there is "Queen Anne's Double Daffodil" which is a synonym of 'Eystettensis' and is quite distinct from "Queen Anne's Doubel Jonquill" which is a synoym of Narcissus jonquilla 'Flore Pleno' which looks a bit like 'Pencrebar'.
I have the double jonquil which might be in flower soon, but I've lost 'Pencrebar' and 'Eystettensis' - at least I haven't seen them flower for a long time :(
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 06:49:54 AM »
Right!

I'm happy now that mine is 'Pencrebar' and James A Wells, says the old name for it is Queen Anne's double jonquil, referring to Queen Anne of England and I misread him in that I didn't connect that there is also Queen Anne's double daffodil, referring to Queen Anne of Austria, and it is this one that is Eystettensis, which I definitely don't have.

Thanks everyone for sorting me out. Of course it would be easier if the various queens through the centuries had used a few more names. There's a preponderance of Annes and Katherines  and Marys. Why couldn't their royal parents have occasionally chosen Kylie or Charlene, Shania or Mickayla, even Aleisha? ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
............. or even Lesley ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »
You've hit the button David ;D Burns got it right when he wrote " Saw ye Bonnie....." ;D ;D

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »
Fermi, you've sorted us out. Too many Queens :-\
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 04:09:16 AM »
Here's a pic of the double jonquil, which as far as I can tell is NOT 'Pencrebar' but should be what's called "Queen Anne's Double Jonquil"
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 08:05:27 AM »
I've been trying to find an image of 'Eystettensis' but realise I only have it as a slide! (Another reason to get a scanner). The flowers are much fuller than Fermi's jonquil and a softer yellow. It must be pretty uncommon in gardens - I've only seen it at Beth Chatto's and searched for bulbs for a long time, until finding some on Rannveig Wallis' list. It is a lovely plant, in the same league and desirability as things like 'Cedric Morris'.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »
Here is what I have as Narcissus Eystettensis Queen Anne's Double ? not sure if it is correct.

arillady

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »
http://daffseek.org/query/query-detail.php?value1=Eystettensis&lastpage=1
the above link shows and describes 'Eystettensis'
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »
Just like Anne's picture. So is Michael's 'Pencrebar'?
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »
Just like Anne's picture. So is Michael's 'Pencrebar'?

I would say so, and especially so if the description of Eystettensis on Daffseek as being "sulphur yellow" is correct.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal