We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Show Cleveland March 30 2013  (Read 5672 times)

veteran vet

Re: AGS Show Cleveland March 30 2013
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 10:05:43 PM »
two more saxifrage
Saxifraga 'Gregor', again from Tommy Anderson and another
Saxifraga 'Coolock Gem' this time in the Intermediate Section and shown by John Kirk
There were few Fritillaria at the show, very few large pans but
Fritillaria aurea from Don Peace was a stonker and I show 2 pictures of it one from the side and the other from above to give a better idea of the amount of flower
Fritillaria pinardii from Alan Newton...sadly not at the show as to busy butchering (prime Northumberland beef)

veteran vet

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »
Last few for tonight, will leave primula for tomorrow
Fritillaria gibbosa shown by Ivor Betteridge...I think is one of my favourite frits
Draba dedeana Shown by Lionel Clarkson...I am told this is the correct D dedeana, the more compact E Watson form is apparently not the true species...know which I prefer
Iris winnowgradowii from Don Peace one of several very nice pans of it at the show
Iris wilmottiana from Brian Burrow
Narcissus cyclamineus...sadly I did not get the exhibitor

frits.kp

• I love rare and unusual plants
    • http://gardentalks.wordpress.com
Cleveland Show 2013
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »
A beautiful sunny day at AGS Cleveland, a tad nippy but glorious in the sunshine. Farrer Memorial medal, Best in Show was won by Derek Pickard, Stockton-on-tees. For Dionysia curviflora.
http://gardentalks.wordpress.com
twitter @Stachyurus_man

frits.kp

Re: Cleveland Show 2013
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 08:53:26 AM »
Two plants new and rare at the show. Saxifraga Allendale Tommy and Androsace flavescens
twitter @Stachyurus_man

frits.kp

Re: Cleveland Show 2013
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »
My pick of the day. Fritillaria pinardii.  Primula kialensis and Primula moupinensis.
twitter @Stachyurus_man

veteran vet

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 06:15:28 PM »
Bank Holiday Monday and there was a strange yellow thing in the sky and has nearly been warm...at least it was if you were doing something but not if you stood still for a while. I will continue with my pictorial contributions to the Cleveland Show. In case any one is confused Derek Pickard did win the Farrer Medal but it was with a Dionysia bryoides not with D curviflora...an easy mistake  he had so many Dionysia there, nearly all if not all winning firsts and his Farrer Certificate did go wander-about for a spell
Corydalis solida 'Beth Evans'....Don Peace..and he also had
Corydalis oppositifolia, sorry its not the best of pictures
Corydalis sewerzowii from Ivor Betteridge, again not the best of pics.
There were just a few Pleione at the show but two winners were
Pleione 'Rakata' from Wilf Lombard and in the Intermediate section
Pleiione 'Rakata Rock Dove' from Michael Clement

veteran vet

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »
Time for a few crocus
Crocus heuffelianus 'Brian Duncan from George Young
Crocus kosinii 'April View' ....Tommy Anderson
Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant' from Georgina Instone in the Intermediate section...did open up well as it was in a shady section of the hall
Geoff Rollinson had alovely
Haastia pulvinaris, I know has already been posted by others but worthy of the repetition
Townsendia hookeri from Tom Green...there's a bit of a story about this one as just before judging started it was noticed that he had it in the small open with a pan limit of 19cm and Toms pan was clearly oversize so I hot footed it looking for him...where else but the canteen, at least 100 yards or more away where I grabbed him, got back to the hall, next question is where shall it go...plonked it in the class for compositae, low and behold it won, he says he owes me a drink!   

veteran vet

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »
Hepatica are very popular, at least South of the border they are and in the Education class for three pans distinct all requiring the same cultural conditions Della Kerr had produced three hepatica, one of which was
Hepatica japonica 'Shiun'...again not the best of pics. Other hepatica were
Hepatica nobilis from Robin Pickering and
Hepatica transsilvanica 'Flora Plena' from George Young
Trillium nivale from Alan Spenseley, a 30 year old panful received a certificate of Merit
Viola trinervata was the Best American at the show...George Young

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »
Many thanks Christine, George and Kevin for taking us to the Show.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

veteran vet

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Down to Primula now, although there were good entries in some of the classes in the main there were probably fewer than we would normally expect to see at Cleveland
Primula 'Arduaine' from Don Peace
Primula 'Tantallon' from Norma Pagdin who as show sec. must have been delighted with the very good entry level and the florer power on display
That Primula expert John Richards produced some quality plants such as
Primula vulgaris
Primula x miniera and
Primula kialensis, this quite new to me 

veteran vet

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 06:57:52 PM »
continuing on in the primula vein
Primula 'Blindsee' from Tom Green
Primula 'Broadwell Milkmaid'...Don Peace
Primula 'Lepus' from Geoff Rollinson....he must have been in a rush getting ready for the show as the pot could have done with a clean!!!
Primula allionii 'Mary Berry' from Edward Barraclough...had to be near 30cm pan

veteran vet

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »
Last post with more primula but not P allionii
Primula marginata 'Mrs Carter Walmsley' from Mala Janes in the small open and
Primula x hirsute from Barry Richardson in the Intermediate.
A rather novel class was class 30 which was for 1 pan containing 3 rock plants for colour effect (in flower or foliage mixed), this attracted three entries and was won by the trough experts John Dower
Sadly, as also reported this was the first and last time we will be at the new venue for Cleveland this year which is a pity as it had venue was ideal...good hall with good light and plenty room, excellent parking and good catering and trade areas, however I gather the place is to be closed and sold for development...probably worth a fortune given the size of the area and the quality of the housing round about...so its back to the drawing board for next year for Norma, Joan and crew.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »
Primula marginata 'Mrs Carter Walmsley' is one I haven't heard of before.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 08:23:29 PM »
Primula marginata 'Mrs Carter Walmsley' is one I haven't heard of before.
I have just started to collect Primula marginata.  I decided I needed to have some focus to my buying!! Bought a couple at my local AGS plant show with high hopes that I can enter them next year in the novice section

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »
Whilst I was researching P. marginata 'Mrs Carter Walmsley' I found this Web Site, you may find it interesting Helen.

http://shop.alpine-peters.de/primula/marginata.html
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal