We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2013  (Read 12378 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: Trillium 2013
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2013, 02:23:57 PM »
Hi Ralph - Your Trillium is definitely a sessile type, however, it is not T. sessile.  I'm fairly sure your Trillium is T. cuneatum.  As shown in the photo, the flower petals of T. sessile are almond shaped and curve toward each other in a closed position.

(Attachment Link)
Just seen this Julie; thanks for the information.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2013, 02:26:11 PM »
I bought this as Trillium catesbaei, but maybe not?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Loss of NZ Trillium grower
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »
I have only this morning, in an email from another person, caught up with the very sad news that NZ's Grand Old Man of the Trillium world, Stewart Preston of Mosgiel, Otago, has died. The note I received just said "recently" and I didn't see any notice in our paper so I'm not sure of the date.

Stewart was a highly skilled grower and propagator of trilliums in particular, but of all kinds of choice plants and introduced many to local gardeners. His knowledge and experience are irreplaceable and the local garden community has lost a good friend as well as a great and generous grower. Stewart sent seed to many people around the world and plants to a number of fellow trillium addicts in different countries. He was known too as a spirited and inspiring speaker, sometimes shocking his audiences with his particular style of presentation but he never spoke a word about his favourite plants that was not true and to the point, and so helped many people, including me, better to understand the needs and foibles of the genus. I'm sure there are some Forumists or lurkers who will remember Stewart with great admiration and respect but also with affection. He will be greatly missed by all New Zealand's trillium growers.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:25:06 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Loss of NZ Trillium expert
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »
What sad news, Lesley. I had heard of Stewart and appreciated his standing  in the NZ Trillium world.

I found this :

http://deaths.press.co.nz/obituaries/the-press-nz/obituary.aspx?pid=165150718#fbLoggedOut
PRESTON, Stewart Langdale
- Of Mosgiel. On Sunday June 2, 2013 aged 80 years. Dearly loved husband of the late Beth. Loved father and father-in-law of Peter (Dunedin), Donna and Colin (Wellington), Megan and Gert (Sweden). Loved grandfather of Maitland, and Madison; Fern, and Wiremu; Molly, and Melker. Loved brother of Margaret, Jenny, and the late John. A Service for Stewart will be held in Campbell and Sons Chapel, 95 Gordon Road, Mosgiel on Friday June 7, at 1.30 p.m, followed by a private interment. Messages to 14 Solar Terrace, Broad Bay 9014.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »
Thank you Maggi for this extra information. Ironically, I could so easily have attended Stewart's funeral as I went up to town yesterday, shopped and had a leisurely lunch with a friend, oblivious to the knowledge of Stewart's funeral going on at Mosgiel where I went mid afternoon to the supermarket and passed people at the funeral director's where it was held, recognising many local gardeners. I parked my car as soon as I could and rushed back but they were coming out not going in. I feel really bad about missing this, a result of Roger's refusal to have a daily paper delivered here. I spoke with some of the attendees and learned that our Forumist and my friend Susan, gave a eulogy on behalf of the gardening fraetrnity around Otago and Dunedin. Susan knew Stewart very well and would have made a good job of it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2013, 07:06:37 AM »
Trillium from spring 2013

T. recurvatum 'Sharis Flame'
    Trillium grandiflorum 'Elkin form'
    Trillium grandiflorum Jenny Rhodes
    Trillium grandiflorum 'Otis Bigalow'
    Trillium ovatum flora plena
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:51:49 PM by Maggi Young »
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal