We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Irises: Non-Bearded 2013  (Read 20980 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: Irises: Non-Bearded 2013
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
Iris siberica 'Annemaria Troeger', which I obtained in last year's Plant Heritage plant swap.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2013, 04:04:10 AM »
That's a very nice one.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »
Hi Lesley,
I should have plenty of seed, the bumble bees seem to love it. There was still some seed left from last year on it but I have just sown it once I realised it was rare. Remind me later and I can send you some.

Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
Probably Iris 'Gerald Darby' (probably)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2013, 11:11:31 PM »
Iris chrysographes
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »
A nice clump of an Iris spuria cultivar, probably 'Shelford Giant'.

The books say Iris foetidissima has insignificant flowers. I beg to differ; the variation in flower colour is fascinating.

Iris siberica 'Perfect Vision', another one from last year's Plant Heritage plant swap. Is it really meant to look like this? A rather muddled flower!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »
Hi Lesley,
I should have plenty of seed, the bumble bees seem to love it. There was still some seed left from last year on it but I have just sown it once I realised it was rare. Remind me later and I can send you some.

Susan

Thanks very much Susan. Later would be when? Perhaps about July/August?

Aren't those black chrysographes forms so sumptuous? Like black velvet and very luxurious-looking. Fortunately they are good seeders because everyone seeing them in my various gardens has wanted some. :).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:33:06 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2013, 11:45:18 PM »
John, I agree with you about Iris foetidissima. The flower variation is very attractive and in any case the seed pods as they open make it worth growing. I remember seeing photos of Constance Spry's winter creations using the iris stems with other red berries and red or gold wimter stems and things which many people would never consider as suitable for "cut flowers" or house decoration.

While we grow all the shades of I. foetidissima here, we are not allowed to bring in seeds because they are poisonous and their lovely colour is attractive to children  - so the reasoning goes. We may bring in many iris species as seed, others not, because they're not here already and have not been assessed for potential environmental damage (!)  but foetidissima and pseudocorus or any of its derivatives are specifically prohibited, the latter because its growth habit can clog waterways. This puts out of our reach the magnificent "eye shadow" forms which the Japanese have developed.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2013, 08:30:39 PM »
The books say Iris foetidissima has insignificant flowers. I beg to differ; the variation in flower colour is fascinating....
Here are some yellowish variants.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »

Iris siberica 'Perfect Vision', another one from last year's Plant Heritage plant swap. Is it really meant to look like this? A rather muddled flower!

Ah, no! This is what it is meant to look like.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2013, 09:26:15 PM »
A nice clump of an Iris spuria cultivar, probably 'Shelford Giant'.

Is that one of the Shelfords near me, of which there is a Great and a Little?

The books say Iris foetidissima has insignificant flowers. I beg to differ; the variation in flower colour is fascinating.

Iris foetidissima is wonderfully tolerant of the dry conditions in my garden, even dry shade.  To my mind it is crying-out for some breeding/selection to find one with flowers that are a bit larger and brighter than normal and John has not got very far to go with his selections.
Almost in Scotland.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »
Is that one of the Shelfords near me, of which there is a Great and a Little?

Iris foetidissima is wonderfully tolerant of the dry conditions in my garden, even dry shade.  To my mind it is crying-out for some breeding/selection to find one with flowers that are a bit larger and brighter than normal and John has not got very far to go with his selections.

I believe it is the Shelfords in Cambridgeshire.

My Iris foetidissima all came from seed collected on the North Downs in Kent, dry chalk. I'm on Weald clay, but dry and sunny. They self seed in every bit of shade in the garden, and seem to produce different flower variations every year.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »
I know Iris spuria isn't a rock garden plant, but I like it. Here are a couple more cultivars. Can anyone name them?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
No idea Ralph but both very nice. The other was probably from the same nursery which worked at one stage some years ago with Eremurus. Some of those were named as 'Shelford Hybrids.' Do you know of nurseries in the area either present or past?

NZIS has quite a lot of varieties listed in their seed exchange this year (currently). Though they wouldn't come true, some good plants should eventuate. I'll try a few. I like the caramel-coloured ones. :)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »
No idea Ralph but both very nice. The other was probably from the same nursery which worked at one stage some years ago with Eremurus. Some of those were named as 'Shelford Hybrids.' Do you know of nurseries in the area either present or past?

According to the AIS Iris Encyclopaedia, 'Shelford Giant' details are "(Sir Michael Foster, R. 1913) SPU. I. Ochroleuca x 'Spuria Aurea'."

Sir Michael Foster was a notable Iris breeder in Cambridgeshire: see  http://www.hips-roots.com/articles/notable-foster.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal