We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 640 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
HELP
« on: July 22, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »
I replaced a strip of land in front of my house with pea shingle - 23 tonnes, planted some shrubs and received thanks from my neighbours.  Unfortunately a near neighbour complained and my problems started.

The strip of land turned out to be owned by Kent County council and they ordered me to reinstate the grass verge.  They did not want my action to set a precedent for the County where a significant number of householders are trying to incorporate grass verges into their gardens.  In most cases these verges represent the only safe place to walk and I full support the Council in insisting they remain as a grass verge - however, it would be nice if they maintained them!   For info my strip of land had never been maintained by the council and was a health hazard as dogs used as a convenient loo - it was never walked on by pedestrians as they had a road to walk on that did not have traffic except for my car and my 3 neighbours.

Now to the help I need.

Under the pea shingle I placed a membrane tp stop weeds growing through.  I would like to leave that in place under the lawn that I plan to install - of course I will have to maintain it.  Could I also leave a layer of pea shingle on top of the memberane before a layer of top soil onto which I would place turf. 

If it is possible to leave a layer of pea shingle - how deep?

How deep a layer of top soil do I need under the turf?

At least the exercise will do me good.  I will use the surplus pea shingle as a mulch in the back garden to keep down the weeds.   

Look forward to any help you can give me.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
How thick is that layer pea shingle
if not thick I would put just a layer soil over it
because the soil is much drier
grass will grow slower
and it looks better
I would leave the membrane
it keeps the old weed seeds down

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

art600

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »
Roland

It can be as thin or thick as I want it, but I suppose 3 cm is probably the thinnest layer and I repeat with a layer of soil and then turf.

The ground slopes so the layer could be thicker at tyhe back if you don't think it will cause a problem for the grass.

Arthur
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:53:39 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
How big was the strip of land?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

art600

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 06:14:22 PM »
About 7 sq.metres
Arthur Nicholls

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
If you can reuse the pea shingle I would do that
soil will go in-between the pea shingle
and I think the grass will grow normal

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
Art - what a huge shame on the part of the council. In another place you would be lauded as an urban guerilla, improving areas of wasted land! In America, where perhaps they have  more open attitude to the initiative of gardeners, some plant up the strip between the pavement and the road - there is a wonderful example in Ken Druse's book 'The Collectors Garden' where Lauren Springer did this and it can only have brought enjoyment to everyone walking by. I would keep those zealous council people guessing for a while but I don't suppose they would give up!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

art600

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »
Tim

If I had won the lottery I would fight to the end, but the little man cannot succeed against the law - and sadly I have broken the law.  Everyone loves the improvement, but it cannot be allowed to remain.

Villages would look awful if it were not for residents mowing the grass verges.  I too would have been happy to mow the verge, but it was impossible and needed a strimmer to make it even half tidy.
Arthur Nicholls

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal