We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haberlea, Ramonda, Jankaea - Scottish / UK sources?  (Read 1267 times)

Nate

• /afk
Haberlea, Ramonda, Jankaea - Scottish / UK sources?
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »
I've had a little trouble finding anywhere which is selling Haberlea, Ramonda and Jankaea in plant form and was wondering if anyone knew of places to get my hands on these alpine gesneriads? I grow a few indoor types but want to try my hand at something a bit hardier (also, I'm running out of space near my windowsills!)  ;D
Nate Kelso near Falkirk.

Sarmienta

Re: Haberlea, Ramonda, Jankaea - Scottish / UK sources?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:23:55 PM »
Hello Nate

Ramonda and Haberlea are easy to get (were i live) ,but the Janckea is another story,but so nice :D
I also have gesneriads in the garden as wel ,and tropicals in my greenhouse. Wat kind of gesneriads do you have?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
I assume you've looked at The Plantfinder Nate. It shows a number of Haberlea and Ramonda suppliers (in theory of course) but no Jankea.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
I think now we are meant to spell Jankea  as  Jancaea .... not that it makes a lot of difference to a plant finder search.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Nate

• /afk
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:45:46 PM »
Sarmienta - mostly Saintpaulia (I am dabbling in hybridisation) but I also have some small Petrocosmea and Streptocarpus - with some Episcia seeds waiting until my Saintpaulia seedlings have grown up and I have some space in my propagators!

Thanks for the correction, Maggi - might make searches a bit easier!

Also thank you both for the tip about checking 'The Plantfinder' - I had a google and I assume you mean the RHS one?  There were a lot of 'dead ends' where things seemed out of date but I think I've found a few nurseries where I can make enquires!  Thanks very much  ;D
Nate Kelso near Falkirk.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
Yes, Nate, I did mean the RHS Plantfinder, sorry, should have given that link too, it's very useful...
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal