We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Propagation of Tibetan plants  (Read 2969 times)

Droni

Propagation of Tibetan plants
« on: December 18, 2011, 12:17:32 AM »
Hello - My name is Droni  Amcho . I am a Tibetan student at RBGE and SAC.  I am trying to write a thesis which includes cultivation of some of the Tibetan medicinal plants, but I cannot find any good information on some of the high alpine species & how to propagate them. So I would be grateful if you could provide any information on ...

Lagotis brevituba

Notopterygium franchetii

Saussurea medusa

Saussurea obvallata

Gentiana urnula

Thank you so much. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Droni

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Propagation of Tibetan plants
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 03:46:32 AM »
If only one had the chance to propagate such plants!

I would imagine seed if available or cuttings would be the answer for Gentiana urnula and seeds for the Saussureas but I've certainly no experience with either. I wish you well with your search for information Droni.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:26:30 AM »
Droni, I would start by asking Chris Chadwell, who travels regularly to the Himalaya and sells seeds from the area.  He is interested in the medicinal uses of plants, and also organises the Himalayan Plant Association (formerly called the Sino-Himalayan Plant Association).  His website is http://www.chadwellseeds.co.uk/ and his email address is given there.

If he does not have personal experience of growing these plants, then he may be able to put you in touch with one of the Association members who may have done this.  Unless one of our other Forum members can help?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:21:23 PM by Richard Green »
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
That sounds like the best possible advice.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 09:15:12 PM »
Hi, Droni,
I don't have any expert advice to give on propagating these plants, but I can describe some limited experience at germinating seed or that of related species, if that is of any help?

I don't know anything about Lagotis brevituba but I found that seeds of Lagotis yunnanensis germinated rapidly (after 5 days) at room temperature (~20 deg Celsius) without any other treatment, and grew readily.   

I found that Saussurea graminifolia, S. stella, S. nepalensis, and S. eopygmaea also germinated rapidly (in less than a week) at room temperature, while S. medusa took about 11 days under the same conditions.  However, I only got one seedling of S. medusa which I was unable to keep alive long enough to plant out.

I had one seed of Gentiana urnula germinate after 11 days at room temperature, after a treatment with GA-3 (giberellic acid) but again, was unable to keep it alive.

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:47:26 PM »
Hello Droni, it is good to have you join the Forum.  :)

For those of you thinking that the name of Droni seems familiar, see here :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6257.msg173058#msg173058

Droni is one of the Tibetan medical students who have benefitted from a grant from the SRGC Diana Aitchison Fund and she gave a presentation at the AGM in 2010.

This photo shows  Droni in her very beautiful national dress at the AGM, with Julia Corden, the administrator of the SRGC DA fund.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:21:18 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Droni

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 01:16:15 PM »
Hello Everyone
I am pleased to get your information.
I will contact Chris Chadwell and use your suggestions.
Thanks you so much for your time.
Best regards
Droni

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal