We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seed of Asteranthera ovata  (Read 1008 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Seed of Asteranthera ovata
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:13:02 AM »
I have some seed of Asteranthera ovata being harvested now, about 12 pods in all. Please PM me if you would like some. There's enough for perhaps 8 people with some left for me, and Alex in Russia, yours is safely accounted for. I think it's best to offer it now while fresh as it would be months until a new seedlist is ready. It germinates well and quite quickly.

It is beastly to clean, the little black seeds being stuck in a jelly-like substance inside the still green pods. The seeds have to be soaked off in water then drained and dried on paper towels then prised off the towels because they still are a bit jellied and stick to the paper. But the plant is so beautiful it is worth the effort.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Seed of Asteranthera ovata
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:38:02 PM »
I'm sorry only one (local) Forumist has shown interest in this stunning plant. It was on my wants list for 50 years before I was given cuttings by Dave Toole. I first saw it growing under titoki trees (Alectryon excelsus) near Taihape, the middle of the North Island, and fell instantly in love with it.

I have quite a lot of seed so let me know if you'd like some.

I've reached the stage in cleaning when I'm not sure what to do next. The pods have been squashed and soaked in water but most of the seed remains trapped in the jelly. What now? I think I'll have to smear the bits of sludgy pods across dry paper towels and detach as much seed as possible that way then maybe do another soak.

In the wild, I imagine there is no distribution method at all, except maybe insects making off with the jelly complete with seeds. The jelly is not sweet (I tried) so probably the pods just fall and rot away and some seeds germinate in situ.

Has anyone harvested and cleaned this seed before? If so, how did you do it?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:42:15 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Sarmienta

Re: Seed of Asteranthera ovata
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
Hello Lesley

You know it,s one of my most wanted plants (i,am a Gesneriophyl  ;D) you gave me a lot of seeds last year,and they grow ,but not fast or easy.
For me, its still a chalenge ,and one of my most difficult plants .beside your seeds i got some cuttings from Graham and bought plants from Glendoick.
Now i have my first flowers,and they are even more beautifull red than i thought it would be . Thanks for spreading this beauty ;).

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal