We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: seeds of Lilium Canadense (yellow)  (Read 1500 times)

floricole

• french lilium blog
seeds of Lilium Canadense (yellow)
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »
Hi

I have gathered seeds from my lily, they are native to Quebec, Canada. They grow wild on my land.
all the mothers plants I had collect seed from were between 6' and 7' tall and had 12 to 18 flowers each.

will trade with other botanic lily.

Please send PM

Looking for other color of L. canadense specially the red brick one.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:34:58 AM by floricole »

floricole

• french lilium blog
Re: seeds of Lilium Canadense (yellow)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »
google translation

Conservation issues
http://www.mddep.gouv.qc.ca/biodiversite/especes/lis/index.htm
The conditions for growth of the lily of Canada are found only in the humid forests or open areas or semi-shaded moist southern Quebec. Although the disappearance of this species is not understood at this time, several factors contribute to its scarcity: grazing by white-tailed deer, logging, inappropriate practices of forest management and habitat destruction resulting from urban and agricultural development. The entire collection of specimens for horticultural purposes also has a significant pressure on wild populations of the species. Since it takes three to five years to produce flowering plants attractive to the consumer, it is tempting to buy directly from suppliers in the wild. Indeed, greenhouse or any other means of propagation in a controlled environment are more expensive.

Designated vulnerable species in Quebec in 2005, the lily of Canada is now protected under the Act respecting threatened or vulnerable species. The prohibitions on the species, however, are limited to the harvest of more than five whole specimens or parts underground in the wild and sale of one of these specimens. According to the NatureServe network, the lily of Canada is at risk in Ontario and Nova Scotia. In the U.S., it is very threatened in Alabama, Kansas, North Carolina, South Carolina and Rhode Island, and is threatened in Delaware, Tennessee, Georgia and Indiana, and is vulnerable in the state of Nebraska.
=========================================================================================

I'm producing seedling of l. cnadense since more then 15 years on my land, I have start this year massive production so I can wholesale for garden center. My goal is to make it available, that way people will stop go taking the bulbs in the wild. and if there is seeds available more lily will be produce and less will be remove from there natural spaces.

I will also built a collection of L. canadense all color variety and ssp collect true different exchange. I will give a sample of each to the Montreal Botanical Garden.

PIerre Hamel
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 04:02:28 PM by floricole »

wooden shoe

Re: seeds of Lilium Canadense (yellow)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »
That's an interesting project, I hope you can establish them well. I have a few red seedlings which I will wait for. With only one growing season I probably have to wait 2 or 3 years before I can have seed from these.

good luck,
Rob

Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal