We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ Field trips - October  (Read 2341 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: NZ Field trips - October
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
Hi Stephen.

I wes a little casual in my naming of the Apium. The New Zealand plant is known as  Apium prostratum subsp. prostratum var. filiforme> so the short answer to your question is that there is no difference. The same variety occurs in Eastern Australia so var prostratum may occur there as well. I do not know. There is a second New Zealand subspecies Apium prostratum subsp. denticulatum that occurs on the Chatham and Antipodes Islands.

As for Lepidium oleraceumthere is a small possibility that I could obtain some seed from my DOC contacts but this may be difficult as it is a protected plant.

Cliff,

I was going to apologise to you as I did not show any pictures of buttercups in my posting but then realised that Myosurus is a buttercup. Does it satisfy your Ranuculophilia?
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
Barely, David, barely!  LOL.
I must admit I've never encountered it before.   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 08:38:56 PM »
Amazing plants.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 08:09:28 AM »
Hi Stephen.

I wes a little casual in my naming of the Apium. The New Zealand plant is known as  Apium prostratum subsp. prostratum var. filiforme> so the short answer to your question is that there is no difference. The same variety occurs in Eastern Australia so var prostratum may occur there as well. I do not know. There is a second New Zealand subspecies Apium prostratum subsp. denticulatum that occurs on the Chatham and Antipodes Islands.

As for Lepidium oleraceumthere is a small possibility that I could obtain some seed from my DOC contacts but this may be difficult as it is a protected plant.

Thanks! I have a slide of a similar plant growing on a rocky shoreline on South Island under the name filiforme...

Didn't realise that oleraceum was now protected! I read in Crowe's book on edible plants of New Zealand that it was declining due to decreases in grazing pressure...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 08:12:27 AM »
I have to echo Anthony: Amazing plants!. For example the Myosurus (M. minimus) that grows here is an annual and quite different.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal