We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scandinavian Expedition to Biluoxueshan & Baimashan Yunnan, China 2010  (Read 3492 times)

ernebjerg

Hi
Please enjoy my photos from the Scandinavian Biluoxueshan&Baimashan Expedition  Yunnan, China 2010.
The goal for the expedition was to explore rhododendrons in new/ little explored areas. The expedition crossed the Biluoxueshan from Mekong to Salween by the Paidi pass ending in Fugong. Then we went north to Dimaluo and crossed from Dimaluo (Salween) to Mekong by the Balagong pass to Sewalongba valley and the Sela pass to Mekong Valley. From the Mekong Valley we crossed the Baima Shan by the Cika pass to the Zhubalong river, a tributary to the Yangtze River. Altogether 4 high passes above 4.000 meters.
We found a lot of rhododendrons and some new forms, the most interesting being a red flowered Rh. roxieanum.
More information can be found in "Journal of the American Rhododendron Society No 1 January 2010".
You can also follow this link: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7kPAJPusagnMzk4YzkzZWMtNTgxNC00MWZkLThjODEtODFiNDAwY2JmMjZh&hl=en&authkey=CJ2UiI0B  --   Note: "Copyright: Journal of the American Rhododendron Society"
Bent Ernebjerg
Expedition organizer and leader
Links sent to moderator
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:31:48 PM by ernebjerg »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Scandinavian Expedition to Biluoxueshan & Baimashan Yunnan, China 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »
Greetings, Bent.... thanks for starting this new thread.
We enthusiasts for the ericaceae will enjoy following the tale of this trip very much.
 I will surely post your phot link as soon as I receive it.

Maggi
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:32:10 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »
And here is the link to  Bent's SBBE photos
 http://picasaweb.google.com/ernebjerg/FlowersSBBE?authkey=Gv1sRgCOb7ntb1v-G6uAE&feat=email

....dozens of wonderful pictures  8)
Thank you , Bent.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:32:20 AM by Maggi Young »

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:14:12 PM »
Bent,

I have just finished reading the article in the ARS on the expedition.  To any rhododendron lover it can only be described as quite envious.  The descriptions of both places and plants is so exciting.  Would love to be able to put on my walking boots and experience such an outting.

For the time will have to continue planting any collected seed.

Best regards

Charlotte Jacobson
Belgium
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:25:34 PM »
Bent - A marvellous tour and pictures.  

What a cracker of a fictolacteum (#110-112) that pink is!  :o :o :o  I hope you got pollen.  And #20 the deep pink roxieanum!!  :o

I wonder about the plant labelled proteioides #198? Do you think it is not a hybrid? Maybe x taliense or one of the Taliensia?

Astoundingly immaculate foliage on those forrestii Repens and heartening to see the foliage of mekongense is about the same as here after winter.

And great foliage on 243 phaeochrysum ssp. levistratum.

The photo #204 nivale ssp. ? is a real beauty.

johnw

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:27:09 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ernebjerg

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »
Hi John
thank you for your correction about #198 it is Rh. Aganniphum (Naming has bee changed).  It is taken on the Cika pass's in an open  almost flat area between 2. and 3rd pass about 4.200m. There are 4 passes alltogether one being the real one ie. Watershed. There were Rh. proteoides and Rh. aganniphum growing together + some small leaved species.
You can find more pictures from this area in my album with all my photo's : https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=ernebjerg&target=ALBUM&id=5524910391233772017&authkey=Gv1sRgCICuteDfsJWeRw&feat=email
Yes the tiny Rh nivale Ssp. ? is a gem, the colour is better than seen on the photo, fortunately I have a few tiny seedlings and pray for their survival.
Cheers
Bent

rhodofan

Lovely photos - especially nice to see Praestans and Rothschildii as I've just bought these two  :)
If youve never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom. ~ Terri Guillemets

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Lovely photos - especially nice to see Praestans and Rothschildii as I've just bought these two  :)

Then you simply must have falconeri v. eximium!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Hello rhodofan, welcome to the Forum  8)

Super new foliage on the R. falconeri v. eximium, John. That looks to be one large baby  ;D

rhodofan

Thank you John  :)  I shall add it to my wish list.
If youve never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom. ~ Terri Guillemets

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal