We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus nivalis, fresh seed  (Read 6365 times)

Gene Mirro

Galanthus nivalis, fresh seed
« on: May 19, 2007, 05:24:03 PM »
I am collecting lots of fresh white Galanthus nivalis seeds.  What is the best way of germinating them?  Should I sow immediately, or let them dry out?  Most references say they need warm, then cold, but I can't find any info on dealing with the fresh seed.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Galanthus nivalis, fresh seed
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »
I would sow immediately, but don't remember seeds being white? Germination is in the spring.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 06:25:20 PM »
off white. I'm with Anthony sow now and dont let them dry. Sow half way down a pot in a mix of good soil, leaf mould and some grit
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 06:31:06 PM »
I just went out to take some photos

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 06:40:27 PM »
Mark, did you mean collect and sow before the seed pod becomes brown?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 08:09:57 PM »
I think the seed coats very quickly oxidise to turn them brown. Storing them in the fridge for a day or two wont do much harm. Just other bulbs the tail on the seed is a food parcel for ants who carry the seeds underground where they wont dessicate.

Gene Mirro

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »
Thank you.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

GoodGrief

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »
As a novice at galanthus seed sowing... should I keep the soil wet/damp/moist/dryish/bone dry during the summer?

I've also started repotting some. With the very dry weather here in the South East, the compost is pretty dry.
I feel a temptation to water them a little. Given I killed some off last summer by not keeping them dry enough, I guess I should resist.

Regards, Malcolm.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:10:40 PM »
Once I've sown seed of anything, I don't let it dry out completely, even bulb seeds. Well, I did on one sad occasion, a whole batch of Trillium species, and never saw a seedling - ever! I sow then water, then continue to keep dampish.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:23 PM »
Malcolm, pots of seeds should be kept constantly moist until germination. Don't water repotted snowdrops at this time of year. They need to be in dry compost rather than  moist until it's time for rooting to start again in later summer. Just pack the dry compost down firmly around the bulbs so there's not too much air in it and the dormant bulbs should be fine. Damp compost after they die down is, as you say, likely to cause rot.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 10:48:36 AM »
If you want get largish drifts of nivalis quite quickly I would recommend sowing in situ in the garden. What I do is to sow the whole seedpod with a small trowel just below soil surface. Germination the following spring is virtually 100% with natural small clumps of seedlings arising from each seed pod. These have flowered after 3 years for me. I do the same with special varieties that set seed (the majority don't) with the hope that something new and garden worthy will arise.

With a lot of varieties this often happens naturally and we have had an interesting cross between 'Augustus' and 'Trym' for example, and some good progeny from 'Gerard Parker', which does set seed reliably and is one of the most striking varieties in the garden.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

GoodGrief

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »
Many thanks for the advice. I suspect I may have picked some seed pods a little too early.
Anyway, adds an interesting new dimension to the snowdrop season.

I had a minor disaster with a group of about 20 'special' snowdrops I was repotting.
I was giving them a bit of soaking in that natural citrus-based fungicide (whose name I can't remember),
when I kicked over the tray not once but twice and scattered them here, there and everywhere.

Well, at least next season I'll have 'fun' matching 20 snowdrops against 20 names.
We'll see if they're distinct enough to identify!!

Thanks, Malcolm.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:22:34 PM »
At least when I dropped a box of rice bubbles the other day, it was just a matter of calling in the dogs and sweeping up the rest. They didn't have to be named. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 12:01:10 AM »

At least when I dropped a box of rice bubbles the other day, it was just a matter of calling in the dogs and sweeping up the rest. They didn't have to be named. ;D
;D ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

steve owen

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 03:52:18 PM »
When I dropped some cornflakes on the floor my wife called out quite a lot of names.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal