We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Natural hybrid?  (Read 812 times)

Kevin

Natural hybrid?
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »
OK, so here's my first question on the forum which I wonder if you can help me with....

I've just purchased a p.bulb of Pln. Xbarbarae and I understood it was a natural hybrid. On reading "The Genus Pleione" Cribb & Butterfield am I  right in thinking they suggest it's another name for Pln.grandiflora?

Am I correct?

Thanks is advance.
Kevin

ThomasB

Re: Natural hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
As far as I understand Pleione xbarbarae is a natural hybrid of Pln. grandiflora and most likely Pln. bulbocodioides. "The Genus Pleione" isn't quite up to date there. Another example is the plant called Pln. chunii within the book which is now Pln. aurita. The true Pln. chunii isn't mentioned.

The taxonomy problems with Pln. xbarbarae have been discussed before in this forum, especially replies 255 and 256. I think it would be interesting to compare the quite variable Pln. xbarbarae with man made hybrids of Pln. grandiflora and Pln. bulbocodioides.
Germany - Middle of Thuringia (Zone 7a)

Kevin

Re: Natural hybrid?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »
Hi Thomas,

thanks for your reply to my question. I'll have a look at the replies.

Regards,
Kevin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal