We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Teesdale wild flowers  (Read 1204 times)

vivienr

Teesdale wild flowers
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »
Last weekend, on a trip 'up north', I decided to go the pretty way up the Pennines. After a call at a tourist information office I realised I would be almost passing the site of some of the famous Teesdale wildfowers and that the Spring Gentians would be in flower so I made the short detour to see them.
The site is a Nature reserve and you are not allowed to leave the tarmac track but there are plenty of flowers right next to it and it is very accessible. The Gentians flower on 'sugar limestone' outcrops and the area has been fenced off to keep out the sheep.

Cow Green Reservoir near Middleton-in-Teesdale, County Durham

Gentiana verna
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

vivienr

Re: Teesdale wild flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:56:11 PM »
Also flowering in the damper area near a stream was the Bird's eye primrose - Primula farinosa.
Only about 10cm tall here - a real cutie :)

vivienr

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:16:01 PM »
Apologies for the bleached out photos but it was early afternoon on a very hot day. Even that high up it was about 24 degC and when we got back to the car in the car park it was registering 31 degC 8) 8)

There were also patches of mountain pansy (Viola lutea?) mainly in purple or mixed shades.

The flowers are all so tiny it is hard to believe that this area of grassland is covered with thousands of them.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 11:19:51 PM »
What a treat to see these natives doing so well, Vivien.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal